FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Mitsumi FX001D Double speed CD-ROM.

FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Mitsumi FX001D Double speed CD-ROM.

Post by Michael E. Wilki » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm in the process of installing FreeBSD from CD.  It does not
recognize mcd0.  I changed the i/o address to 310 and the boot does
recognize mcd0 with the proper settings, but when I select CD as the
source it says that the CD-ROM does not exist.  I could install from
DOS, but I would rather install from teh CD.

Also, the book 'The Complete FreeBSD' refers to making a boot disk for
IDE CD-ROM drives, but the file ATAPI.FLP is not found in the
directory FLOPPIES.  I really have no idea if this is an IDE CD or
not.  Any ideas where this file is?  Ive searched the CD for it.

Post by Nelson Fun » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I'm in the process of installing FreeBSD from CD.  It does not
> recognize mcd0.  I changed the i/o address to 310 and the boot does
> recognize mcd0 with the proper settings, but when I select CD as the
> source it says that the CD-ROM does not exist.

Make sure there is a CD in the drive.  Otherwise the installer would claim
there isn't a CD-ROM.

Regards,
nfung

FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Mitsumi FX001D Double speed CD-ROM.

Post by H. Ecke » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Also, the book 'The Complete FreeBSD' refers to making a boot disk for
> IDE CD-ROM drives, but the file ATAPI.FLP is not found in the
> directory FLOPPIES.  I really have no idea if this is an IDE CD or
> not.  Any ideas where this file is?  Ive searched the CD for it.

Using V2.1R I had no problem at all with my drive that is identified
as FX001DE and is definitely connected through the IDE cable.
Your mentioning of some i/o address makes me very suspicious that your
drive isn't connected as IDE at all.  Looking into my FreeBSD booklet
I find in section 2.0 a paragraph about booting into the CD-based
installation from DOS with install.bat or alternatively inst_ide.bat
(which is the one I used and it worked perfectly) and atapiflp.bat
to make atapi-floppies instead of the default makeflp.bat.

Greetings,
                                Ripley
--
H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany
ISO 8859-1: ?=Ae, ?=Oe, =Ue, ?=ae, ?=oe, =ue, ?=sz.

Post by Pascal Gieng » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I'm in the process of installing FreeBSD from CD.  It does not
: recognize mcd0.  I changed the i/o address to 310 and the boot does
: recognize mcd0 with the proper settings, but when I select CD as the
: source it says that the CD-ROM does not exist.  I could install from
: DOS, but I would rather install from teh CD.

Here it worked without problem. I still have that Mitsumi drive beneath
an SCSI CDROM in my machine to be able to listen to music CDs :-)
Check the interrupt setting of your Mitsumi adapter card!
Have you perhaps another CD drive in your machine, eg. SCSI?

: Also, the book 'The Complete FreeBSD' refers to making a boot disk for
: IDE CD-ROM drives, but the file ATAPI.FLP is not found in the

This is not an IDE drive. It comes with its own adapter card. Funny that
I never had the problems metioned by people with ATAPI CDROMs with this
Mitsumi drive ;) Drivers were available for Windoze, OS/2, FreeBSD, ... :-)

Pascal
--

-------------| http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1381/ |----+---------
Rechenzentrum| Tolles Internet, Teil XIV: Gestern:Jeder war Anbieter und

1. Great News for Mitsumi Double Speed Cd-Rom Users!

        Hi!  I just called Yggdrasil about their Fall 93' Cd-Rom and
found out that they are sending a patched boot up disk for people who
own the Mitsumi Double Speed/Spin Fx series drives.  The floppies should
be cut soon and hopefully shipped right away.  If you have problems please
call them to get your copy if you have purchased the Fall 93' LGX Cd and
cannot use it because of the Mitsumi problem.

(Real: Don Farber)                    "Friends don't let friends use

Majoring in Computer Science at NIU

2. non freeware news software?

3. Mitsumi double speed cd-rom driver ?

4. Linux/X Default Graphics Settings

5. Configuration of a Mitsumi Double-Speed CD-ROM

6. Help needed XF86Config, MAG DX17Fe

7. Mitsumi double-speed FX001D

8. Any real world successes using multible PPPlines/EQL balancing?

9. DOSEMU and Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM

10. SB Pro 2.0 8 bit stereo / Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom & Workman Volume ???

11. Yggdrasil summer '94 & Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM

12. Help: Mitsumi CD-ROM model FX001D

13. Problem with Mitsumi CD-ROM Drive FX001D