Mail

Post by holme » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:51:08

Hi All

I`ve just put in a FreeBSD gateway to replace an NT nightmare. "Sick of
paying good money for M$ crap" anyway it went in with no probs and has
turned out to be a refreshing experience.

I use a plugin supplied by the ISP to forward SMTP mail off their servers to
an exchange server on
the LAN. Since putting in BSD the plugin wont work I think due to MASQ on
the BSD box.

What would be the best way to get the mail through the BSD gateway onto
Exchange? I am
currently using demand ppp for the connection so IP`s change all the time.
Would qmail do this ?

Paul

Mail

Post by mic.. » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:59:19

> Hi All
> I`ve just put in a FreeBSD gateway to replace an NT nightmare. "Sick of
> paying good money for M$ crap" anyway it went in with no probs and has
> turned out to be a refreshing experience.
> I use a plugin supplied by the ISP to forward SMTP mail off their servers to
> an exchange server on
> the LAN. Since putting in BSD the plugin wont work I think due to MASQ on
> the BSD box.
> What would be the best way to get the mail through the BSD gateway onto
> Exchange? I am
> currently using demand ppp for the connection so IP`s change all the time.
> Would qmail do this ?

I have zero experience with M$ stuff, but it seems to me that you can
do the following to get your mail:
-either your ISP puts your mail in some pop or imap server. In this case
you use fetchmail to retrieve it and send it to a local mail server like
sendmail or postfix (i have heard bad things about qmail, but don't know
personnally, i use sendmail)
-or your ISP is smart enough to send mail directly to your sendmail, and
it is even simpler.
In both cases you then have to read documentation of sendmail or postfix
to know how to redistribute your mail locally. The advantage of sendmail
is that there is a fat book to completely explain it.

Quote:> Paul

--
Michel Talon