1. ttyS0, serial settings, talking to a UPS, arrrrgh
Google and the various FAQs/HOWTOs all talk about getting the serial
port to be happy with modems, FAX machines, and other assorted devices;
likewise for the mgetty documentation. Those haven't helped so far.
I'm trying to connect a UPS (specifically, the little Back-UPS "simple
signalling" model) via its serial cable, so that when the building gets
hit by lightning the next time, the Linux servers will shut themselves
down nicely. (Same as all the Suns do right now, using the same software --
APC is a nice company.)
Anyhow, APC provides a little test program to verify communication with the
UPS, but I'm not even getting that far; its test program tells me that the
serial port is incorrectly configured, and that I have work to do before
trying to communicate with the UPS. All the examples it can give me are for
other flavors of Unix; for Linux I've heard of mgetty but otherwise don't
know much. There's nothing in inittab mentioning ttyS0 (yet). Trying to
run mgetty with various options (I'll get the options right eventually if
I try all the combinations....) gives me this in /var/log/messages:
Jul 24 22:19:53 acorn mgetty: mgetty: experimental test release 1.1.22-Aug17: Success
Jul 24 22:19:53 acorn mgetty: can't create pid file /var/run/mgetty.pid.ttyS0: File exists
Jul 24 22:19:53 acorn mgetty: check for lockfiles: File exists
Jul 24 22:19:53 acorn mgetty: locking the line: No such file or directory
Jul 24 22:19:54 acorn mgetty: lowering DTR to reset Modem: No such file or directory
Jul 24 22:19:55 acorn mgetty: send: : No such file or directory
Jul 24 22:19:55 acorn mgetty: waiting for ``OK'': No such file or directory
I probably need to get rid of the DTR and OK crap; that's for later.
What's with all the "no such file" stuff? There is most definitely a
/dev/ttyS0, and /proc/tty/driver/serial lists its settings. The kernel
is finding it okay... what am I missing here?
The last time I had to mess with serial ports was setting up a null modem
to play Diablo some five years ago. Before that I plugged a serial mouse
into ttyS0 and it just worked... help?
2. Kernel panics on boot for SMP only
3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!
4. FreeBSD and Buslogic BT-950
5. Help setting up simple serial link win98 to linux
6. Has anyone been able to run DirecPC on a real OS?
7. Linking Linux boxes via serial link
8. Solaris 9 for x86 and multiple CPUs
9. Machine serial number or unique machine id
10. Help: Setting Up TCPIP - I can ping to the machine but not from the machine????
11. how to set up serial port paremeters for a serial printer?
12. How to set up serial port when programming serial communication