FreeBSD (2.1), my old '486, and a 2.5 GB hard disc

FreeBSD (2.1), my old '486, and a 2.5 GB hard disc

Post by Chris Gra » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Well, this is all a lot of fun. :)

I bought a PC with a 486DX2/66, 12MB RAM, 350MB HD, and started to install
FreeBSD from a 2.1 CD-ROM I'd picked up somewhere - the intention being to
use this sytem to download a more current BSD once it was all working.

I used FIPS to cut the existing DOS partition in two, ending up with some-
ting like 11MB Swap, 32MB each / and /var, and 64MB /usr.  Played around a
bit, got iijppp to dial out on one of my modems (but not the other :?),
all fine: but at a certain point I felt the need to rebuild my kernel,
and of course I had nowhere near enough space.  So it's off down to the
shop to buy a lovely new 2.5GB IDE disk.

After enquiring after my system, the shop assistant handed me a floppy
which she thought I would probably need :), containing a driver for older
BIOSes.  After much fiddling, I had the new disk installed as a slave,
duly partitioned (I put a DOS partition of 64MB at the beginning and
dedicated the rest to BSD).

My plan was to put / and Swap on the old drive, and /usr on the new.  But
for some reason I cannot get this to work: the installer tells me it is
mounting / as read-only (although I've changed it since the last successful
install), and then fails when trying to mount wd0a.  I *think* I need to
persuade it to treat my old disk as though it had never held a freebsd
filesystem, but I don't know how to do so.

It also seems that the installation program is writing to the MBR even
when I tell it not to: I keep on having to re-run Seagate's DM program
to re-install its boot sector.

Are these known bugs in the 2.1 installer?  Can I use a later one?

Does what I am trying to do make sense?  Should I maybe make the new
disk master and the old one slave??

Just how do my BIOS, Seagate's special boot sector, and FreeBSD work
together to make a usable file system?

Any other ideas?

Sometimes I find myself wishing I'd bought that Atari TT instead ...

--

  Chris Gray

FreeBSD (2.1), my old '486, and a 2.5 GB hard disc

Post by Alan W. Trulo » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am not sure I follow.

When I added a second drive, I partitioned the disk and made my disk slices.
I then copied specific items over from my original disk to my new disk.
After that, I created symbolic links to the new disk and modified fstab to
link the drive on boot.
Any portions of the old disk that were now unused, I converted ffrom file
system space to swap space.

I never reinstalled FreeBSD, just move some of it around and then extracted
the sources to the new drive.

>Well, this is all a lot of fun. :)

>I bought a PC with a 486DX2/66, 12MB RAM, 350MB HD, and started to install
>FreeBSD from a 2.1 CD-ROM I'd picked up somewhere - the intention being to
>use this sytem to download a more current BSD once it was all working.

>I used FIPS to cut the existing DOS partition in two, ending up with some-
>ting like 11MB Swap, 32MB each / and /var, and 64MB /usr.  Played around a
>bit, got iijppp to dial out on one of my modems (but not the other :?),
>all fine: but at a certain point I felt the need to rebuild my kernel,
>and of course I had nowhere near enough space.  So it's off down to the
>shop to buy a lovely new 2.5GB IDE disk.

>After enquiring after my system, the shop assistant handed me a floppy
>which she thought I would probably need :), containing a driver for older
>BIOSes.  After much fiddling, I had the new disk installed as a slave,
>duly partitioned (I put a DOS partition of 64MB at the beginning and
>dedicated the rest to BSD).

>My plan was to put / and Swap on the old drive, and /usr on the new.  But
>for some reason I cannot get this to work: the installer tells me it is
>mounting / as read-only (although I've changed it since the last successful
>install), and then fails when trying to mount wd0a.  I *think* I need to
>persuade it to treat my old disk as though it had never held a freebsd
>filesystem, but I don't know how to do so.

>It also seems that the installation program is writing to the MBR even
>when I tell it not to: I keep on having to re-run Seagate's DM program
>to re-install its boot sector.

>Are these known bugs in the 2.1 installer?  Can I use a later one?

>Does what I am trying to do make sense?  Should I maybe make the new
>disk master and the old one slave??

>Just how do my BIOS, Seagate's special boot sector, and FreeBSD work
>together to make a usable file system?

>Any other ideas?

>Sometimes I find myself wishing I'd bought that Atari TT instead ...

>--

>  Chris Gray

FreeBSD (2.1), my old '486, and a 2.5 GB hard disc

Post by H. Ecke » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> My plan was to put / and Swap on the old drive, and /usr on the new.  But

Sounds quite reasonable to me.  It would probably be better to have
some swap space on both disks to distribute the disk load...

Quote:> for some reason I cannot get this to work: the installer tells me it is
> mounting / as read-only (although I've changed it since the last successful
> install), and then fails when trying to mount wd0a.  I *think* I need to
> persuade it to treat my old disk as though it had never held a freebsd
> filesystem, but I don't know how to do so

Now what did you do to your small disk that made the system behave
that badly ?  wd0a points to the "a" partition of the first slice
(BIOS partition) with a BSD-code.

Quote:> It also seems that the installation program is writing to the MBR even
> when I tell it not to: I keep on having to re-run Seagate's DM program
> to re-install its boot sector.

Forget about the OnTrack-manager.  You don't need it for FreeBSD
and the Seagate-licensed copy is customized enough not to work with
other drives.

Just a thought crossing my mind: Could it be that your small disk
is a Seagate too and the DM program installed OnTrack on that one ?

Quote:> Does what I am trying to do make sense?  Should I maybe make the new
> disk master and the old one slave??

Do you need the smaller disk at all ?  If you want to keep the bigger
disk in that machine it would certainly be the easiest option to use
the 2.5G-drive and remove the smaller one, probably with an emergency
system on it...

Quote:> Just how do my BIOS, Seagate's special boot sector, and FreeBSD work
> together to make a usable file system?

When I set up my server the first time using a Seagate 2G disk I ran
DM to use OnTrack and had no trouble with it at all.  In April I bought
a 3G disk and set up the same machine w/o OnTrack (since it didn't like
my new Quantum disk) so I had to use a little trick to get it to work
(additional BSD slice just for the root filesystem being completely
below the 500MB limitation of my '92 BIOS).  Currently I swapped the
disks back so my server has the 2G Seagate again, but without the bigger
DOS partition in front I can use it natively, so I removed OnTrack.

Quote:> Sometimes I find myself wishing I'd bought that Atari TT instead ...

You could even be running Atari Sys.V at the moment :-)

Greetings,
                                Ripley
--
Ach komm, ich denke schon, da? die Raver sehr tolerant sind. Gerade bei dieser
Love Parade. Du mu?t dir nur mal ansehen, wer da sein wird: Westbam, Marusha,

1. How to reformat a 2.1 GB disk to 2 GB ?

Is there a UNIX tool to reformat the Seagate ST 3 2155 N disk
from 2GB + 1551 kB to 2GB+300 kB or less ?

Or is it possible to just force the disk to report the smaller size ?

Machine: hp9000/712
OS: HP-UX 10.20

Thank you

Pavel POKORNY                   Department of Mathematics
phone: +42 2 2435 3096          Prague Institute of Chemical Technology
fax:   +42 2 311 3629           Technicka 5
 or    +42 2 24 311 082         166 28 Prague

2. SMP problems on an IBM IntelliStation

3. skill on hp-ux

4. knoppix on hard disk - atleast 2.5 GB ????

5. xdm & RH 6.2 & problem

6. BIG (> 6 Gb) IDE Harddrives on old 486 bios

7. Sendmail and SCO 5.0.2

8. Solaris 2.5 x86 can't see more than 1.5 GB on IDE disk?

9. old bios doesn't c 6.4 gb hard drive

10. Hard Drive Size Limit on old 486

11. 8 Gig Hard Drive On an old BIOS system (486 HP Vectra)?

12. old 486 and EIDE 1.6 gig Hard