Random probes/lack of probes under 2.2 with PCI

Random probes/lack of probes under 2.2 with PCI

Post by Jonathon Dor » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm working with someone who has built a PCI board, and I have written a
device driver for FreeBSD 2.2R.  I'm concerned that FreeBSD doesn't probe
for devices on the PCI bus all of the time.  Sometimes it does, and it sees
the new card.  But other times the PCI bus is ignored and the probes start
with the ISA bus.

This is very annoying.  Rebooting 8 or 9 times is a work around, or perhaps
fiddling with the "-c" switch and saving the "changes".  I don't know what
is going on.  It kind of reminds me of a study I heard about where researchers
had a bunch of pigeons in covered cages and randomly tossed in food pellets.
After a month of so of this, the cages were uncovered and the pigeons were
seen to perform random bizarre acts which they associated with being fed.
I am the pigeon here, and FreeBSD's probing the card is a food pellet.

Can anyone help me with this, or should I start sacraficing my co-workers to
the volcano god?

Regards,
Jon Doran

1. Travelmate 5100 PCI probing (and probing...)

Hi
 I just got a TI Travelmate 5100 that I picked up to install RedHat 6.2
on. When I run the install, the kernel boots and I then the machine
starts reporting that PCI Probing has found Peer bus 01, 02...

I tried to wait it out but it got up to 'az' and I realized that there
was probably no upper limit.

Does anyone know how I can bypass this?

Thanks
---Raymond

2. Single user boot

3. Slakware 2.2 (1.21) Hangs probing SBPCD

4. Linus Confirms 2.4 In December

5. Probe Pci and the PCI Hardware list.

6. Linux NFS server & Solaris client - can't see files

7. PCI: probing PCI hardware ... in eterno

8. redhat 9.0 and firewire ?

9. Question: PCI Bios messages (Unknown PCI device, IRQ probe failed)

10. 1.1.81 PCI probe hang

11. PCI probing status cleanup

12. Inst.Prob 4.3 (When probing PCI devices)

13. PCI probe for Xconfigurator problems