need help with natd error "natd[140]: failed to write packet back (no route to host)"

need help with natd error "natd[140]: failed to write packet back (no route to host)"

Post by Mako » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:46:41

I have had this firewall up and running for about 5 months now. Literally
all of the sudden, I am getting tons of these error messages, and worse of
all, I cannot connect through my firewall. I cannot even ping from my
firewall to an outside address. I know it sounds like a typical user lie,
but nothing had changed in months when this started happening. I thought at
*maybe the disk drive was full or something, but that would cause
serious problems, not what we are seeing here. Also, I verified that the
drive has plenty of space.

If I ping an inside interface [RFC 1918 address] it works fine. If I ping an
outside addres I get a mix of these errors:

natd[140]: failed to write packet back (No route to host)
natd[140]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)

Most of the errors are the "No route to host" veriety. I get tons of them.
This litarally started happening this afternoon (Aug 20, 2001). I rebooted
my firewall and it fixed the problem for a couple minutes, then it was back
again. No other reboots have helped.

I am a FreeBSD (unix) novice. A friend helped me set up this firwall. I am
very conversant with Windows and Novell, and have a strong understanding of
routing and TCP/IP.

If there are any folks who may have an idea of what could be causing this, I
would be very greatful.

Thanks from a new BSD recruit!!

-Don

need help with natd error "natd[140]: failed to write packet back (no route to host)"

Post by Jonathan Car » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:41:19

Quote:> I have had this firewall up and running for about 5 months now. Literally
> all of the sudden, I am getting tons of these error messages, and worse of
> all, I cannot connect through my firewall
> natd[140]: failed to write packet back (No route to host)
> natd[140]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)

> Most of the errors are the "No route to host" veriety. I get tons of them.
> This litarally started happening this afternoon (Aug 20, 2001). I rebooted
> my firewall and it fixed the problem for a couple minutes, then it was
back
> again. No other reboots have helped

I have had tons of 'Host is down' errors too. I have triple-checked my
firewall and host settings, and can't seem to find any problems.
The strange thing is, the errors always occur at 8.30 in the morning. I have
nothing scheduled at that time, and the internal network computers are
always switched off. A re-install did not make a difference...

Its something I never used to have problems with too, so I put it down to an
external problem on the network I'm plugged into :-)  ?

I have not experienced any problems connecting through my firewall, so you
might have a different problem there.

Jon

1. natd problem - natd[121]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied).

I have FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE installed and using NATD and IPFW.    With
IPFIREWALL and DIVERT enabled.   I get this:  natd[121]: failed to write
packet back (Permission denied).

When I add IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT to the kernel, I don't see the
error. So I assume it to be a firewall rule issue.

I'm using the rc.firewall but adding the "log" keyword to many of the
commands.  My ipfw command for the natd is:
natd_interface="xl0"           # Public interface.
ipfw  add divert natd all from any to any via ${natd_interface}

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

John Mulkerin

2. .bashrc vs .bash_profile: sourcing scripts

3. NATD [104] Failed to Write Packet Back (no route to host)

4. goto.fr and their web-decelerator MemoWeb (fwd)

5. Error -natd[285]: failed to write packet back...-

6. No route to host?

7. NATD problem -failed to write packet back (Permission denied).

8. Snort reports strange port scans

9. ipfw settings natd: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)

10. natd[90]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)

11. natd: failed to write packet back

12. NATD: Failed to write packet back

13. natd[97]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)