total newbie queston re: multi OS setup:

total newbie queston re: multi OS setup:

Post by coote » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I need to have a multi boot option for both NT (NTFS) and freebsd...is there
a painless order in which to load os's? which boot manager should i use?
help much appreciated!

Post by Harald Prettne » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I need to have a multi boot option for both NT (NTFS) and freebsd...is there
> a painless order in which to load os's? which boot manager should i use?
> help much appreciated!

you may install NT first ( size is important since some bioses won't
boot from
tracks > 1024, you will have to find out whether your PC's bios does or
not )
because the install-program overwrites the master boot record.
the next step is to install freebsd w/ the default boot manager. you
will be asked about
that during installation.

you may add a second NT, ext2f, dos, etc.... Partition now.

I think you may make use of the NT-Boot Manager in any way too, but I
never tried that ...

regards,

--
Harald Prettner
ZID TU-Graz

1. total, total newbie needs help with general unix

Hi everyone.  I've been given the task of system administering a unix
box(es), both IRIX and Solaris.  Now, what I need is a good book, really
good book on basically how to do everything (just a figure of speech but you
get the idea) from setting up user accounts, and a must have is how to set
up quotas on CPU time and disk usage, and general security issues.  Can
someone give me some titles of books that they swear by.  Also, some web
sites that you swear by also.  I come from a Windows background (sorry
folks), and I never had done any system administration (I do know basic Unix
commands and concepts, philosophy), so I need help bad.  Looking on various
sites from searches brings up so many web sites obviously, but I'm looking
for that one or a few good ones that's solid.  Thanx in advance.

Me

2. OS5 and dual port IDE cd-rom

3. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

4. How to set up dial in and out with mgetty

5. Step by Step IPChains setup? Total Newbie here

6. Make Config can't find a directory

7. Multi OS setup

8. I wanna build an archie server on Linux

9. How to install LILO in a multi-OS setup?

10. Multi-OS setup problem. Help!!

11. multi OS setup query

12. multi os 1 HD each..booting.Newbie

13. newbie multi-os question