FreeBSD 4.4 networking dies when transferring large files

FreeBSD 4.4 networking dies when transferring large files

Post by Daniel Spreadbu » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:30:10

We've got a server running FreeBSD sitting in a data centre and we're
trying to transfer files between it and another server sitting in a
different data center (that particular server is running Slackware).

File transfer between the two machines goes at about 3Mb/second, but
the networking just dies on the FreeBSD server during the transfer --
and networking only comes back when the server is restarted.

In every other respect the machine seems to be functioning fine.
We've tried swapping out the network card.

The server's basic configuration is Athlon XP 1500+ on an ABIT
KG7-RAID mobo, 1Gb DDR RAM, a type 1 RAID array with 2 x 20Gb IBM
disks, an Intel network card.  Any ideas?

TIA!

Daniel

FreeBSD 4.4 networking dies when transferring large files

Post by Jim Ankru » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 23:27:16

seems like I had something like that happen before.... I can't remember for
sure but I think moving the nic to a different slot fixed it. hth

Jim

Quote:> We've got a server running FreeBSD sitting in a data centre and we're
> trying to transfer files between it and another server sitting in a
> different data center (that particular server is running Slackware).

> File transfer between the two machines goes at about 3Mb/second, but
> the networking just dies on the FreeBSD server during the transfer --
> and networking only comes back when the server is restarted.

> In every other respect the machine seems to be functioning fine.
> We've tried swapping out the network card.

> The server's basic configuration is Athlon XP 1500+ on an ABIT
> KG7-RAID mobo, 1Gb DDR RAM, a type 1 RAID array with 2 x 20Gb IBM
> disks, an Intel network card.  Any ideas?

> TIA!

> Daniel

1. Problem: FTP & SMTP transfers of large files slow down and die

Hi!

This is my setup:

 - Company 100 MBits network
 - a Win2k box
 - a Suse Linux 8.0 notebook with 3Com megahertz PCMCIA eth
 - Sendmail runnning as deamon/smtp serv (couldn't figure out the
version, sorry)
 - vsftpd
 - firewall is turned off

This is what happens:

 ftp:
    initiate file transfer, everything goes fine for the first couple
of   minutes until the transfer rate drops to about 52 kb/s (could be
even lower, but this is what the client says (WS_FTP)) and so would
take about 37000 gazillion hours to tranfer a 1 gig file. This always
happens... (note: i use the same client to connect to an aix ftpd on
the same network and all works fine)

 smtp:
     when trying to upload larger files (>1mb) same thing happens:
initially
the transfer rate is ok but then all the sudden drops to near zero
(both my client and iptraf on the notebook confirm that)
When connecting to other smtp servers on the net, everything goes of
without a hitch though, even transfers of 1gig files. After about 30
minutes idling the console log shows a "sendmail: syserr: collect: i/o
error on ..." message ... then my client, completely unrelated
(timewise), will shut down saying: socket error.

The above also happend when I had 7.2 installed, although sometimes a
tranfer would even go through.

Related note: I work via telnet from the linux box to an aix the whole
day and nothing ever happens (meaning, it works fine) plus I repeately
used "bing" and "ping" to check for dropped packages and collisions,
nothing, unfortunatly.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Connexion to my provider

3. Vmware2 and FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE network trouble

4. UltraSparc 5 add PCI SCSI card

5. Network bug in FreeBSD 4.4 STABLE

6. Multi-homing host: how to configure

7. FreeBSD 4.4 Network Configuration Problems

8. smaba server

9. Freebsd 4.4 and 3C900b (3COM network card)

10. NetGear FA411 network card on freebsd 4.4

11. Network bug - FreeBSD 4.4 STABLE

12. OSS for FreeBSD 4.4 license file needed

13. Network access fails in RH9 with large file transfers