Some questions / problems with FreeBSD

Post by Jacques Bourdea » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 02:44:36

Hi,

I wish to use FreeBSD as firewall and server for my small network.
Here is some of my questions / problems :

--DHCP Client
It just don't work over my 3com905 (xl0 or xl1) but do over a strange
and usually poor NIC form Spider Communication ( _NEVER_ use
these cards ! they are cursed ! ) In fact, FreeBSD is the first to
recognize
this card ( recognized as lnc1 by the kernel ). This card is a 10 MBits
and I would like to use my 100MBit instead.  Doing

Quote:>dhclient xl0

just wait long long time and finally do not set any thing.
Can I use my 3com card in another way than static IP address ? How ?

--IPFilter
I wisht to use IP Filter for packet filtering, proxys and NAT. I did
configure
the kernel and /etc/ipf.rules for that and it works fine. I would like
to upgrade
to the latest IP FIlter release ( .16 in FreeBSD 4.3 ; .20 is available
and .16
have a bug which bypass filtering rules...) but I'm just unable...

After opening the tarball, I can not patch the kernel for the new
version.
Patch said diff files are in a version he don't know.

Also, config do not accept a kernel config file with the option
IPFILTER_LKM.

At the end, I can not add IP Filter neither as kernel part nor as
module.
What should I do for upograding it ?

--/etc/resolv.conf
My ISP, like all others, use DHCP. When dhclient connect and receive its

IP settings, it flush /etc/resolv.conf and create a new one from ISP's
DHCP infos. I need to use my own DNS server which run on this FreeBSD.
How can I prevent dhclient to change my resolv.conf ? Just removing
the write permission is not enough. DHCLIENT use it's root's privilege
to overwrite resolv.conf, write permission or not.

--Just for fun
My P-90 have a built-in NIC that Windows found as a Compaq NetFlex-2
TR card. I do not plan to use Token Ring, but just would like to know if

FreeBSD is able to manage it or not. Just in case for future plans...

Thanks for your help

Jacques Bourdeau

1. FreeBSD firewall question + a really dumb question(yes I'm new to FreeBSD)

I need to get a firewall up in our office with no NAT.  I looked at a book
called FreeBSD Unleashed.  The book seemed to explain things pretty well.
Anyone else have an opinion on this book?

Okay, I tried version 4.3, but I could not add the iptables module.  Version
4.4 seems to use IPFW and the rules use a more english like syntax than
characters $.  Am I right so far??

A lot of the optins are turned on in files.  FIREWALL = yes in rc.conf.
Here is the dumb question:

In DOS i could use edit to edit a file, what do I use in FreeBSD??

Thanks

2. dvd ???

3. A question on Upgrading FreeBSD 3.2 to FreeBSD 4.1.1

4. can't get LinuxPPC_2000_Source.hfs to mount

5. FreeBSD newbie question -- AT&T cable on FreeBSD

6. Does FrankenTROLL speak for the entire COLA membership ?

7. I can't send to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

8. Any support in FreeBSD for UPS?

9. Use FreeBSD telnet to FreeBSD problem

10. Wine problem under Freebsd (maybe freebsd ports?)

11. Strange FreeBSD problem: can't make TCP connections to other FreeBSD hosts

12. Problem reading CD on freebsd burnt on freebsd

13. FreeBSD newbie having ISP connect problems - route problem