NNTP fetcher & NNTP server

Post by Mark Worsdal » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I know sendmail is the standard mail server but what is the
usual/standard news fetcher software for BSD.

Then what is the standard FBSD NNTP server to serve these article to our
liccle Intranet?

M.
--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

The network I maintain:- http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk/computerDept/
Web site Monitoring:- http://www.shadow.org.uk/SiteSight/

NNTP fetcher & NNTP server

Post by Jerry Gardn » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I know sendmail is the standard mail server but what is the
>usual/standard news fetcher software for BSD.

>Then what is the standard FBSD NNTP server to serve these article to our
>liccle Intranet?

The standard news server is INN. If you have a full-time connection,
and another site willing to feed you news directly, then this is all
you need.

If you need to pull news from an ISP or other source of news, such as
Supernews, then you can use suck.

I use the INN/suck combination on my (small) local network and it
works very well.

Both INN and suck should be in the Ports collection.

--
Jerry Gardner                   | Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve

NNTP fetcher & NNTP server

Post by Kenneth Furg » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I know sendmail is the standard mail server but what is the
> usual/standard news fetcher software for BSD.

> Then what is the standard FBSD NNTP server to serve these article to our
> liccle Intranet?

If it's a small group of people, I would have to recommend leafnode.  I
just recently installed it here and I love it.

- K.C.

1. Q:NNTP library, clientlib (3)- NNTP clientlib part of InterNetNews library

The clientlib (for NNTP access) is what I am looking for under Solaris 2.5.
Can anyone tell me where to find it? (What to include from which CDROM)

Many thanks in advance!

2. help: upgraded framebuffer, now have problems

3. NNTP Server & Client in AIX 4.3.3

4. trivial mod_timer fixes for sdla_chdlc.c

5. Web & NNTP server solution

6. SCO Rel 5 graphics

7. DNS & NNTP server on Linux

8. Problems using Acorp, Int. ST-virge/DX.

9. OpenBoot 3.x & NNTP servers

10. _gptr & _egptr & nntp

11. C-News & NNTP Question

12. NNTP & RFC ???