OPERA on Freebsd

Post by RL » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:49:23

Quote:> Hi!
> Opera Browser is compatible with FreeBSD? Or only Linux?
> If yes... what version?

Opera is only available for Linux, but it will work in FreeBSD under Linux
emulation. Currently Opera 5.05 is listed in the FreeBSD Ports collection
(www.freebsd.com/ports), under the 'www' and 'linux' categories.

(And moved from above)

Quote:> Sorry 4 my bad english

That's okay, but since you're learning it is probably not too late to break
this annoying habit...

The word 'four' which is the English spelling of '4', is not the same as
'for', the correct word to use in the above sentence. "Sorry for my bad
English."

Other than that, your English isn't too bad, and is much better than some
English-speakers can manage.

- RL

OPERA on Freebsd

Post by Kade » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:15:00

>> Hi!
>> Opera Browser is compatible with FreeBSD? Or only Linux?
>> If yes... what version?
> Opera is only available for Linux, but it will work in FreeBSD under Linux
> emulation. Currently Opera 5.05 is listed in the FreeBSD Ports collection
> (www.freebsd.com/ports), under the 'www' and 'linux' categories.

The page is a bit out of date.  I just updated my ports tree from -STABLE
about 3 days ago:

OPERAVERSION=   6.0-20011129.1

I believe this is what they're calling "6.0 TP1"

OPERA on Freebsd

Post by H.P.L » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:18:38

> OPERAVERSION=   6.0-20011129.1

> I believe this is what they're calling "6.0 TP1"

6.0 TP2

H.P.L.

OPERA on Freebsd

Post by Michael J. Albanes » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:34:04

> 6.0 TP2

Too bad we didn't keep the port for the older version (v5) around as
well. TP2 is nice to play around with, but it's only a preview
(incomplete) version and seems to have a few issues at this time.

Mike

--
(remove 'revoke-my-' from address for email)

OPERA on Freebsd

Post by Jan Goeb » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 02:47:12

Quote:> Too bad we didn't keep the port for the older version (v5) around as
> well. TP2 is nice to play around with, but it's only a preview
> (incomplete) version and seems to have a few issues at this time.

Hey! I thought I was the only one finding "new" not equal to "better".
If FreeBSD is so after stability, why opera TP ?? It doesn't even display
every cgi-generated page from ebay!

JAN

OPERA on Freebsd

Post by Kade » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 04:29:10

On 16 Dec 2001 17:47:12 GMT, Jan Goebel

>> Too bad we didn't keep the port for the older version (v5) around as
>> well. TP2 is nice to play around with, but it's only a preview
>> (incomplete) version and seems to have a few issues at this time.
> Hey! I thought I was the only one finding "new" not equal to "better".
> If FreeBSD is so after stability, why opera TP ?? It doesn't even display
> every cgi-generated page from ebay!

Yes, this seemed odd to me as well. If they wanted to
give us the new version they could of done something like
/usr/ports/www/linux-opera-devel and left us with the stable version as
the standard one such as they've done with other ports.

Still though, if you use Opera for more than just the occasional "play
around" browsing and you want something a bit more stable, then just edit
the Makefile to grab the latest stable version (5.05?).

OPERA on Freebsd

Post by Jan Goeb » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 05:01:51

Quote:> Still though, if you use Opera for more than just the occasional "play
> around" browsing and you want something a bit more stable, then just edit
> the Makefile to grab the latest stable version (5.05?).

I didn't want to, because I didn't know if all the configs are
backward-compatible, so I temporarily switched to "SpareZilla" ;-)
Did you have any problems with downgrading opera, or is it safe?