Problem in FreeBSD 3.3 Installation

Post by Raiden Fighte » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

FreeBSD 3.3 doesn't install on my PC at all. This is what I have done
1. Boot the PC using the FreeBSD bootable CD.
2. Select the appropriate drivers(all conflicts resolved).

It seems to me that the kernel can detect all my hardware,
but then the installation hangs at the screen "Probing hardware...this
could take a while..."(something like this).

What gives?? My PC runs Linux, Win98 and WinNT just fine.

Thanks!

My PC config:
P3 450(NOT overclocked), 128M ram
Tekram motherboard(VIA chipset supporting PC133)
IBM DMA66 9.1G Hard Disk(master) on the first IDE controller.
40X creative CD-ROM drive(master) on the second IDE controller.
NE2000 PCI Ethernet card
Sound Blaster Live!
Diamond V770 TNT2 32M ram

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Rich Wal » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

        > FreeBSD 3.3 doesn't install on my PC at all. . . .  It
        > seems to me that the kernel can detect all my hardware,
        > but then the installation hangs at the screen "Probing
        > hardware...this could take a while..."

Two thoughts.

If you haven't already done this, go into the "visual configuration"
menu (just as the installation kernel is starting to boot up) and delete
all device entries for hardware you don't actually have on your system.
The installation kernel comes configured with everything but the kitchen
sink (including lots of devices that think they're going to use the same
IRQ and/or bus address).  If these resource conflicts are not resolved
by deleting extraneous devices, the kernel might end up "recognizing"
devices that aren't really there, and this could cause your system to
lock up later on.

Second, when the system hangs while saying "probing hardware", try the
keyboard combination ALT-F2 (which will switch you to a different vir-
tual screen) and see if you can see any of the more detailed messages
that might give you a clue as to exactly what was going on at the time
the installation hung.  This might or might not work, of course -- and
in any event, you should definitely try deleting extraneous devices in
the kernel's visual configuration first.

Post by Joshua James Cantrel » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>    > FreeBSD 3.3 doesn't install on my PC at all. . . .  It
>    > seems to me that the kernel can detect all my hardware,
>    > but then the installation hangs at the screen "Probing
>    > hardware...this could take a while..."

> Second, when the system hangs while saying "probing hardware", try the
> keyboard combination ALT-F2 (which will switch you to a different vir-
> tual screen) and see if you can see any of the more detailed messages
> that might give you a clue as to exactly what was going on at the time
> the installation hung.  This might or might not work, of course -- and
> in any event, you should definitely try deleting extraneous devices in
> the kernel's visual configuration first.

I had the exact same problem and discovered that it was the CDROM
drive I was installing from!  I found this out by swapping CDROM
drives and having it work flawlessly.  Now I'm made to wonder
why FreeBSD has a problem with this (looks) generic ATAPTI CDROM
drive.  Another side effect of the hang is that if I warm boot
the computer, the CDROM drive isn't recognized by the system.
Is there a way around this?  Or is FreeBSD simply incompatible
with this particular drive?

BTW, I was actually using the Cdrom.com FreeBSD 3.4 cdrom when
this happened.

Thanks,
Joshua Cantrell

1. installation problem, freeBSD 3.3

Hi,

I got some problems with the installation of FreeBSD 3.3.

First when I cleaned the conflicts in the "Kernel confoguration menu" and
leave the UserConfig, the kernel will continue with the device probes.
But, most of the time (not always) these three lines were the last things
the configuration of FreeBSD is talking to me:

wdc1:unit 0(atapi):<LTN382/UL28>, removable, intr, dma, iordis
atapi1.0:unknown phase
atapi1.0:unknown phase

Sometimes the sysinstall menu is running.
So I thought, "fine its working", but no way.
Sometimes a lot of packages wont be installed, or the installation is just
freezing.

I got two CD-ROM in my System:
1. Lite On (LTN 382, 40x)
2. Philipps CD Recorder (2x2x24)

It is all IDE, my harddrive is a Seagate (8 gig), also IDE.

So, my question, how can I fix the problem, so that I can use FreeBSD as my
favourite OS ?
I bought the book "The complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, but there are no
answers for this.

Axel

2. SCSI speed degrades

3. FreeBSD 3.3 won't boot from disk after installation !!

4. 2.4.18-rc4 linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt out of date/sync with kernel

5. How do I add BASH to my FreeBSD 3.3 installation?

6. Which port of OpenGL?

7. Upgrading from FreeBSD 2.1 to FreeBSD 3.3 ?

8. using sed

9. FreeBSD 3.3 crashes while posting FreeBSD 4.0 crash details!!!

10. SSH2 on FreeBSD 3.3 Install problem

11. problems with localhost freebsd 3.3

12. IBM Deskstar 20GB HD and FreeBSD 3.3/RedHat 6.1 Problem

13. Problem with FreeBSD 3.3 desktop