CVS - Not really FreeBSD, but I expect a few FreeBSD users are familiar with CVS !

CVS - Not really FreeBSD, but I expect a few FreeBSD users are familiar with CVS !

Post by Tim Bisho » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I've got a module on my CVS server named www/www.mysite.com. I want to
extract this into a directory on my webserver on say a daily basis. I had
envisaged using this command (assuming CVSROOT set).

cvs export -d /home/wwwroot -r HEAD www/www.mysite.com

The idea being that it isn't extracted into a subdirectory of
/home/wwwroot/www/www.mysite.com. But, for some reason it doesn't work.
This is the error returned;

protocol error:  is not absolute

I presumed this meant the path after -d, but that is absolute. Suggestions
gratefully received !

Thanks,

Tim

Quote:> > I've got a module on my CVS server named www/www.mysite.com. I want to
> > extract this into a directory on my webserver on say a daily basis. I
had

> For a first checkout use 'cvs co ...'. Later just run a 'cvs update'
> in the root dir on the server.

I'm talking about the cvs 'extract' command. This does the same as 'co', but
just extracts the files, it *doesn't* create a local tree that you can work
on and update. As I maintain my webpages on my CVS server it would be nice
to automatically have the webserver 'extract' a copy on a daily basis, but
obviously I don't want all those CVS directories that come with a 'co' !

Cheers,

Tim.

CVS - Not really FreeBSD, but I expect a few FreeBSD users are familiar with CVS !

Post by Tim Bisho » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > I'm talking about the cvs 'extract' command. This does the same as
> > 'co', but just extracts the files, it *doesn't* create a local tree
> > that you can work on and update. As I maintain my webpages on my CVS
> > server it would be nice to automatically have the webserver
> > 'extract' a copy on a daily basis, but obviously I don't want all
> > those CVS directories that come with a 'co' !

> I do not see any problem with the CVS dirs, but using the export
> command is more or less the same as 'co'.

It's messy, I would definately prefer to use export, afterall, that's what
it's there for ! It's only when I use the -d switch it fails.

Quote:> > cvs export -d /home/wwwroot -r HEAD www/www.mysite.com

> > The idea being that it isn't extracted into a subdirectory of
> > /home/wwwroot/www/www.mysite.com. But, for some reason it doesn't
> > work.  This is the error returned;

> > protocol error:  is not absolute

> The path after -d can be relative or absolute, doesn't matter. In the
> above example there should exist a directory
> $CVSROOT/www/www.mysite.com.

Yes, that all exists, and works when when I use 'co'. It's only when I use
export with the -d switch it fails. I want to use the -d switch because on
my webserver the pages aren't convieniently in a ..../www/www.mysite.com
directory !

Tim.

1. current CVS tree vs released CVS tree

Hello,

I can't seem to find any documentation regarding the different directory
structures from the current (dev) CVS tree and the released structure.

In the releases, the source is in src/*

In the current (dev) CVS tree, the source is broken up into a few
directories:

    example:
        basesrc/*
        syssrc/*

Does anyone know why this is done this way?  Doesn't this confuse the
Makefiles?

 Thanks for any help.

 -Chris

2. LYNX is it available

3. cvs 1.3 BUG: cvs ci -r after a higher ci...

4. NoLog Directive for Apache?

5. Distributed CVS -- Synchronizing Multiple CVS Repositories

6. Help needed : copying an entire filesystem

7. CVS server timeouts - what ports does cvs use?

8. Help: Setting up SVGA

9. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

10. CVS kills down FreeBSD

11. Compiling KDE CVS under FreeBSD 4

12. How to use cvs to get the latest freebsd source code?

13. cvs-upgrade of FreeBSD 4.1.1 -> 4-STABLE - riscs?