DES and MD5 encryption

Post by Chris Manjoin » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I just installed a 4.1.1 box to take control of my 3.2 box. Problem is
that MD5 encryption is the default on 4.1.1 and I have DES on my old
box. How do I use the old DES encryption type?

There is like no documentation on it at all execpt the explaination of
the two types

DES and MD5 encryption

Post by Nick Hilliar » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I just installed a 4.1.1 box to take control of my 3.2 box. Problem is
> that MD5 encryption is the default on 4.1.1 and I have DES on my old
> box. How do I use the old DES encryption type?

Put an extra line in the default: section in /etc/login.conf with the
following parameters:

        :etc, etc, etc:\
        :passwd_format=des:\
        :more stuff here:\

Then run cap_mkdb.

[caveat: I haven't tried this myself.]

Nick

DES and MD5 encryption

Post by Michael Joyne » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

There is a variable you have to set in login.conf

can't think of it right off hand

try 'man login.conf'

--

===
Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.

DES and MD5 encryption

Post by el » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
you might follow the handbook to re-link the DES-capable crypt library.

> I just installed a 4.1.1 box to take control of my 3.2 box. Problem is
> that MD5 encryption is the default on 4.1.1 and I have DES on my old
> box. How do I use the old DES encryption type?

> There is like no documentation on it at all execpt the explaination of
> the two types

DES and MD5 encryption

Post by sysv » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 16:07:44

> Hi,
> you might follow the handbook to re-link the DES-capable crypt
library.

> > I just installed a 4.1.1 box to take control of my 3.2 box. Problem
is
> > that MD5 encryption is the default on 4.1.1 and I have DES on my old
> > box. How do I use the old DES encryption type?

> > There is like no documentation on it at all execpt the explaination
of
> > the two types

This is the correct solution. Make sure you install the DES libs
in the crypt section of the "Distributions". Then

For the passwd programs pwd_mkdb(8),vipw(8)
to work correctly, one needs DES library links in /usr/lib,
if they are not setup. There are 2 real libs,
descrypt and scrypt.

You need this setup:

else you will see the "long" MD5 passwords used.

Then insert your original master.passwd, and rerun the program
to generate the binary database.

pwd_mkdb -p master.passwd

Cheers

sysv

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. des/md5/crypt

I've consulted the FreeBSD handbook but I was unable to find the
following, during the FreeBSD installation I choose the des libs etc al,

but it seems that only 'libscrypt' is installed.

I would like to know, how can one change form 'libscrypt' to
`libdescrypt'.

(FreeBSD 2.2.6 and in .NL)

-AJ-

2. Redhat 7.3 - USB drive - Primary partition

3. HELP! I realy need MD5 and DES algorithms!

4. Linux Sed command to add newline

5. Will DES install ok on a system with MD5

6. Why can't I run ppp-on from my account?

7. DES & MD5

8. Environment Var TZ(time zone) set up

9. DES & MD5 passwords

10. MD5 -> DES ?

11. How to migrate from md5 to des?

12. backing out of DES (returning to MD5) - how?

13. Crack5/JTR and MD5 with DES