HELP: S3 Trio3D and XFree86

Post by n.. » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can someone please tell me if the S3 Trio3D video card that comes installed
with many IBM systems works with XFree86 as supplied with FBSD3.3 RELEASE
CD disks. According to the docs XFree86 ver 3.3.5 is supposed to work.
However, try as I might, I simply cannot get X to work. The screen goes
blank and the monitor goes into save mode. Please help!!!

thx

HELP: S3 Trio3D and XFree86

Post by Mark Slin » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have one working fine in my Wife's machine. It is an S3 Trio 3D running
under XFree86 3.3.3 on FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE.

You may need to change the refresh rates down a bit. That is what usually
stops the monitor syncing the signal.

HTH,

Mark.

Quote:> Can someone please tell me if the S3 Trio3D video card that comes installed
> with many IBM systems works with XFree86 as supplied with FBSD3.3 RELEASE
> CD disks. According to the docs XFree86 ver 3.3.5 is supposed to work.
> However, try as I might, I simply cannot get X to work. The screen goes
> blank and the monitor goes into save mode. Please help!!!

> thx

HELP: S3 Trio3D and XFree86

Post by n.. » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the info. Now, how would I go about doing that?? Could you please
post any info regarding refresh rates etc. or point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

--

1. S3 Trio3D (86C365) with XFree86 3.3.4

Hi,

I have waited for several months for my S3 Trio3D card to be supported.
Finally, with the release of XFree86 3.3.4, I am able to choose the
card from the card list when doing xf86config. The server from the
card definition of xfree86 is XF86_SVGA, though not XF86_S3.

After fighting with it for about 2 hours, I gave up. I even took the
machine case off to look at the card. The problem I have is that
with XF86_S3, it doesn't work; with XF86_SVGA, I got a screen (shall
I say snowy) and just hang there. I can't even kill it with
"ctrl""Alt""Backspace". Rebooting the machine takes a lot of time.

I saw another post on this newsgroup about S3Trio3D card without answers
of good solutions. Has anybody made a good configuration for this card?

Thanks.

Yuan

2. iTrouble Building X11R5 on Solaris 2.4???

3. XFree86 3.9.16 and S3 Trio3D

4. mailx vs. /usr/ucb/mail, Sol 9 Rec patch cluster

5. XFree86 Server with S3 Trio3D

6. FreeBSD 4.X on Compaq Proliant Hardware ?

7. Problem in using XFree86 4.0 with S3 Trio3D

8. cat works-no sound

9. S3 Trio3D/2X AGP; was: Re: Xfree86 3.3.6

10. S3 Trio3D and XFree86 3.3.4

11. Troubles with S3 Trio3D/2X under XFree86 3.3.6

12. Still no S3 Trio3D support in XFree86 3.3.3.1???

13. S3 Trio3D (86C365) Problem with XFree86