Need to buy a modem

Post by Jason Dento » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:49:50

I want to buy a modem, but I need to be sure I can setup PPP with it
under FreeBSD. I'm partial to PCI internal modems, but external will do
as long as it works under FreeBSD with a minimum of hassle. I understand
I want to get a hardware modem, but many manufacturs don't really say
"Winmodem" on the box.

What are people using?

Jason

Need to buy a modem

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 06:08:37

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:49:50 -0700

JD> I want to buy a modem, but I need to be sure I can setup PPP with it
JD> under FreeBSD. I'm partial to PCI internal modems, but external will do
JD> as long as it works under FreeBSD with a minimum of hassle. I understand
JD> I want to get a hardware modem, but many manufacturs don't really say
JD> "Winmodem" on the box.
JD>
JD> What are people using?

        External everytime! They can be moved from machine to machine,
have blinkenlights and separate power (so it can be reset independently)
and modems last much longer than computers (my Courier dates back to 1995
and I expect it to be in use for some years to come, a new one would be
no better).

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                                |   http://www.sohara.org/

Need to buy a modem

Post by phil » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:54:44

i am using an external modem and you can never go wrong using one!
never have i seen an OS reject the external type...
but there is not a problem with setting up an internal modem
unless it's the win-modem of course...
it should say "controllerless" somewhere on the box or description

and they are usually the lower priced ones...but i have seen a few
win-modems up in the range of the "real" variety

i don't know is this is common or not...but if i kill the power to my
external modem...my entire system shuts down (cleanly)

a trick some people may not want to try at home :)

Need to buy a modem

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:35:40

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:49:50 -0700

> JD> I want to buy a modem, but I need to be sure I can setup PPP with it
> JD> under FreeBSD. I'm partial to PCI internal modems, but external will do
> JD> as long as it works under FreeBSD with a minimum of hassle. I understand
> JD> I want to get a hardware modem, but many manufacturs don't really say
> JD> "Winmodem" on the box.
> JD>
> JD> What are people using?

>         External everytime! They can be moved from machine to machine,
> have blinkenlights and separate power (so it can be reset independently)
> and modems last much longer than computers (my Courier dates back to 1995
> and I expect it to be in use for some years to come, a new one would be
> no better).

Furthermore, external modems are practically guaranteed to work whereas
internal modems can be a pain in the arse.

Ian

Need to buy a modem

Post by jp » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:19:30

> i am using an external modem and you can never go wrong using one!

That, unfortunately, is not completely true. There seem to exist one or
two almost-completely functional external modems that just lack, IIRC,
the driver-roms. Those _have_ to be loaded with (ofcourse) a redmondware
driver. Luckily, that is a very rare beast indeed. Anything that claims
hayes compatability (without requiring all sorts of drivers) should
work.

Need to buy a modem

Post by Michel TALO » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:31:07

: I want to buy a modem, but I need to be sure I can setup PPP with it
: under FreeBSD. I'm partial to PCI internal modems, but external will do
: as long as it works under FreeBSD with a minimum of hassle. I understand
: I want to get a hardware modem, but many manufacturs don't really say
: "Winmodem" on the box.

You will usually know it is a Winmodem if you see requires Pentium 166
or higher on the box. This is because a modem has to reply in specific
timings and slower machines cannot achieve that in software.
(Even modern machines sometimes don't work at 115200 in software, i have
seen that on a Linux laptop with internal winmodem. Have been obliged
to downgrade speed, and it was a Pentium 800).

: What are people using?

: Jason

--

Michel TALON

Need to buy a modem

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:55:18

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:19:30 +0000 (UTC)

J> > i am using an external modem and you can never go wrong using one!
J>
J> That, unfortunately, is not completely true. There seem to exist one or
J> two almost-completely functional external modems that just lack, IIRC,
J> the driver-roms. Those _have_ to be loaded with (ofcourse) a redmondware
J> driver. Luckily, that is a very rare beast indeed. Anything that claims
J> hayes compatability (without requiring all sorts of drivers) should
J> work.

        I've seen this on USB, but do you mean on serial ????

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
You lose and Bill collects.                     |  licenses available - see:
                                                |   http://www.sohara.org/

Need to buy a modem

Post by FxM » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:17:56

I use an external US Robotics(~$100), it offers the convince of blinking
lights, quick disconnect, and mobility.
FxM.

Quote:> I want to buy a modem, but I need to be sure I can setup PPP with it
> under FreeBSD. I'm partial to PCI internal modems, but external will do
> as long as it works under FreeBSD with a minimum of hassle. I understand
> I want to get a hardware modem, but many manufacturs don't really say
> "Winmodem" on the box.

> What are people using?

> Jason

Need to buy a modem

Post by cab » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:49:29

Quote:> I want to buy a modem, but I need to be sure I can setup PPP with it

CUT!
I agree with philo in that you can never go wrong with an external modem
(but I usually regret saying never ;^).
I've had great luck with Zoom external modems.  ISA modems are becoming/have
become obsolete, although they should work fine with linux/*BSD.  As far as
PCI modems go, make sure you get a hardware PCI modem.  The box should say
the the modem works with linux.  Investigate the modem manufacturer's web
site if unsure.  I use an Actiontec PCI Call Waiting modem on Slackware with
great great success.
Chris
Quote:

> What are people using?

> Jason

1. Need a Hayes modem buy confirmation

My Compaq came with an internal Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI modem,
which apparently can't be made to work under Linux.  So I need to buy
another one.

I am looking to buy a Hayes ACCURA 56K V90 INT FAX internal modem,
because the specs say that PnP can be disabled on the card via jumper
settings, and it doesn't appear to be a Winmodem.  Is anyone
successfully using this card, or something similar?  Thanks.

2. Can I set up /dev/floppy to be mounted by non-root?

3. Need Help: buying a unix modem

4. sed: replace regex, write new file; call from script -- How?

5. need recommandation: buying new modem

6. HELP, needed with yacc

7. Need advice in buying new modem

8. Reporting security problems in Linux

9. information to buy memory and modem needed

10. Buying MODEM for Linux: advice needed

11. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

12. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux