FreeBSD/Samba/Win95

Post by John Kur » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone successfully setup a network using Samba under FreeBSD for a
series of Win95 machines?  What I am looking for is the smb.conf example
and the typical configuration of the Win95 machine...  Need a reply soon.

Thanks.
John

FreeBSD/Samba/Win95

Post by Brian Some » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Has anyone successfully setup a network using Samba under FreeBSD for a
: series of Win95 machines?  What I am looking for is the smb.conf example
: and the typical configuration of the Win95 machine...  Need a reply soon.

: Thanks.
: John

Follow the instructions in the nmbd and smbd man pages.  On the Win95 side,
set up NetBIOS over TCP.

FreeBSD/Samba/Win95

Post by Jim Dutt » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone successfully setup a network using Samba under FreeBSD for a
> series of Win95 machines?  What I am looking for is the smb.conf example
> and the typical configuration of the Win95 machine...  Need a reply soon.

I have yet to do the Samba-FreeBSD-Win95 set up, but I am experimenting with
Samba on Sun Sparc-5 (Solaris 2.4). First of all, there should be a rather
long example configuration file with Samba (at least there was with 1.9.15p8).

I don't have a Wintel box, but did test a Win95 and Win-3.1.1 box once I got
the Samba server running. The Win-3.1.1 couldn't access my Samba server
whereas the Win95 box could. I believe that there is a difference in protocols
and/or drivers in Win-3.1.1 that prevents it from working.

Anywho, once I had my Solaris Samba server running, I could use Filemanager
in Win95 to access whatever disk service I had "exported", so there wasn't any
setup required under Win95. You would be looking for a "network drive".

If the Win95 boxes are using LAN manager (v ???), then they could NET LOGON
connected to your "shared resources" before they started up Win95. All that is
needed here are the Samba server and services names to include in the NET LOGON
command. No other configuration is required.

Secondly, the Samba SMBD documentation covers a lot of issues with regards to
the configuration file. It is a little strange if you haven't worked with LAN
Manager stuff before, though.

FreeBSD/Samba/Win95

Post by Nick Say » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc you write:

>> Has anyone successfully setup a network using Samba under FreeBSD for a
>> series of Win95 machines?  What I am looking for is the smb.conf example
>> and the typical configuration of the Win95 machine...  Need a reply soon.
>I have yet to do the Samba-FreeBSD-Win95 set up, but I am experimenting with
>Samba on Sun Sparc-5 (Solaris 2.4). First of all, there should be a rather
>long example configuration file with Samba (at least there was with 1.9.15p8).
>I don't have a Wintel box, but did test a Win95 and Win-3.1.1 box once I got
>the Samba server running. The Win-3.1.1 couldn't access my Samba server
>whereas the Win95 box could. I believe that there is a difference in protocols
>and/or drivers in Win-3.1.1 that prevents it from working.

I have done both win95 and win3.11 with no trouble at all. For win 3.11
you need to go to Microsoft's ftp site and pick up their TCP/IP stuff.
For win95 you just need to load up the TCP/IP protocol and the client
for microsoft networks. Very straightforward.

Here's the smb.conf file I use on my FreeBSD machine. It is used
primarily just to export the CDROM for my laptop. The SunOS machine
exports my home directory and the printer.

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        share modes = yes
        browseable = yes

[cdrom]
        path = /cdrom
        public = yes
        read only = yes

Here's the one on the SunOS machine:

[global]
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
        lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j
        mangled names = yes
        load printers = yes
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        share modes = yes
        browseable = yes

[homes]
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        browseable = no

[printers]
        comment = All Printers

        browseable = no
        printable = yes
        public = no
        writable = no
        create mode = 0700
        path = /tmp

Note that the cdrom export is insecure, but my firewall blocks the
netbios ports from the outside, and I don't worry much about people
inside peeking at my CDROM drive.

--

+1 408 249 9630, log in as 'guest' |   -- Beavis & Butt-head

1. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

Howdy
This may be a win95 question
I have 2 win95 boxes logging into a samba "domain" and running login
scripts
I have the two machines both running login scripts and mapping drives
on the samba server no problem at all
but when u add shares that are on other win95 machines it always
prompts me for a password no matter how many times i log into them
it is driving me nuts
i have already deleted the password files on both 95 machines and
tryied it over it still prompts me for a password but only on the
win95 shares the ones on the samba server go thru no problem and no
prompting
if anyone knows how to do this it would be a great help
Jeff

2. why doestn't ftp work from windows client?

3. FreeBSD Samba w/ Win95

4. Icon Viewer?

5. Printing PostScript: Win95 -> FreeBSD -> Samba -> GS -> HP LJIII

6. samba and library question

7. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt

8. No network connectivity

9. FreeBSD & WinNT + WIN95- Bootmanager doesn't recognise FreeBSD-HD

10. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98

11. ideas od perf of samba + freebsd vs nfs + freebsd

12. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

13. SAMBA, SAMBA, SAMBA