Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

Post by Martin Collin » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just gotten a machine with an ASUS A7V motherboard
and IBM DTLA-307030 30GB harddisk.

However when I try to install FreeBSD 4.0 the installation
can't see the harddisk. I know the hardware is ok because Windows 98
was intalled to test it.

Anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks,

Martin.

Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

Post by john_kilpatr.. » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I've just gotten a machine with an ASUS A7V motherboard
> and IBM DTLA-307030 30GB harddisk.

> However when I try to install FreeBSD 4.0 the installation
> can't see the harddisk. I know the hardware is ok because Windows 98
> was intalled to test it.

> Anybody know what the problem is?

Are you using the UDMA100 controller?  Is your does your FreeBSD know
how to see it?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

Post by john_kilpatr.. » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I've just gotten a machine with an ASUS A7V motherboard
> and IBM DTLA-307030 30GB harddisk.

> However when I try to install FreeBSD 4.0 the installation
> can't see the harddisk. I know the hardware is ok because Windows 98
> was intalled to test it.

> Anybody know what the problem is?

Are you using the UDMA100 controller?  Is your does your FreeBSD know
how to see it?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

Post by Martin Collin » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi John,

yes I am using the UDMA100 controller.

I've already installed Win95 onto the machine and that works.
So I would've thought that the FreeBSD installation would also
be able to see the disk. I would then just have the job of finding
a driver for FreeBSD which would be able to use the special
capabilities of the promise ATA100.

Thanks for your reply.

Martin.

1. Install FreeBSD 5.0 Current on ASUS A7V

Can anybody help me install FreeBSD on ASUS A7V?
When I try to boot from FreeBSD CD (or disks...) I get these messages:
---
Boot Emulation 2.88 MB disk (!!! Why?)
Keyboard : on
---
then I get some codes eip=48379 and so on (I think this is memory
addresses...) and finaly a
"System Halted" message.
I can boot from CD any OS (e.g. Win NT5, which is my current OS, Win98 or
RedHat Linux 7.1)
I was unable to run RedHat Linux because it couldn't "see" my ATI Radeon
64MB DDR card.
I also had a hard time pointing the kernel to my hard disk: I have a
UltraATA 100 chip of Promise
that all OSes see as a SCSI controller...Is this the same problem here? BSD
can't see my HD?
Thanks...

2. lk maintainers

3. ASUS A7V and FreeBSD 4.2

4. proftpd - 5000 files - server timeout

5. Installing Linux on ASUS A7V Motherboard

6. Help : linux networking

7. Installing Mandrake 10.0 on Hard Disk connected to controller Promise ATA 100 integrated on Asus A7V

8. can not read the MS-Win95 partition (type b)

9. mdk 8.1 won't boot after install on /dev/hdg (asus a7v)

10. Installing RedHat 6.2 on an ASUS A7V

11. FreeBSD onto PIII 500MHz Asus P2V M/B with VIA chipset?

12. Problems with Asus A7V Motherboard

13. Asus A7V/333 problems