pppd

Post by Andreas Hinterleitne » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I set up both kernel and user ppp daemons correctly, so they work for me
without problems. I'd like to get them wait in the background until a
connection is needed. This works fine as long as I don't use my X server
with xfs, the font server: whenever X is started, the ppp daemon starts to
dial (because of the font path entry in XF86Config, indicating that xfs on
port xxxx should be used).

How can I avoid this problem (I don't want to use font paths pointing to the
font directories)?

pppd

Post by Rasput » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>I set up both kernel and user ppp daemons correctly, so they work for me
>without problems. I'd like to get them wait in the background until a
>connection is needed. This works fine as long as I don't use my X server
>with xfs, the font server: whenever X is started, the ppp daemon starts to
>dial (because of the font path entry in XF86Config, indicating that xfs on
>port xxxx should be used).

Sounds like a DNS lookup...
I hear ppp filters allow you to limit what kind of traffic can
bring up the link, although I haven't tried them yet.

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

pppd

Post by Scott Miccich » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You may want to set up your x font server to use unix sockets instead of a
tcp port.  the linux version of xfree uses this type of setup.

Quote:> I set up both kernel and user ppp daemons correctly, so they work for me