install on 2nd IDE drive

Post by Thomas Rung » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

As all my searches through handbook, FAQ, dejanews, mailing lists
and web didn't result in a solution, I'll try asking it.

I installed FreeBSD (3.2-R) on my slave IDE disk, while NT sits
on the master. I want to use the NT loader as boot loader, so
I installed the boot blocks (via disklabel -B) and dd'ed it to a
file I give to ntldr. (dd if=/dev/rwd1s1 of=/tmp/bb.bsd count=1).
But all I get is a boot error. I *can* boot using the install disk
and type 1:wd(1,a) during the boot process.

disklabel uses /boot/bootX for it's work and someone mentioned,
that these files are/work for the first drive only and one
should hack /sys/boot/* to add support for other drives, but that
is beyond my knowledge...

So, is it really that hard to get FreeBSD working?

--
Tom

install on 2nd IDE drive

Post by Robert Riebisc » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Did you try the "set root_disk_unit=xx" parameter during boot.

Thomas Runge schrieb:

Quote:> As all my searches through handbook, FAQ, dejanews, mailing lists
> and web didn't result in a solution, I'll try asking it.

> I installed FreeBSD (3.2-R) on my slave IDE disk, while NT sits
> on the master. I want to use the NT loader as boot loader, so
> I installed the boot blocks (via disklabel -B) and dd'ed it to a
> file I give to ntldr. (dd if=/dev/rwd1s1 of=/tmp/bb.bsd count=1).
> But all I get is a boot error. I *can* boot using the install disk
> and type 1:wd(1,a) during the boot process.

> disklabel uses /boot/bootX for it's work and someone mentioned,
> that these files are/work for the first drive only and one
> should hack /sys/boot/* to add support for other drives, but that
> is beyond my knowledge...

> So, is it really that hard to get FreeBSD working?

> --
> Tom

install on 2nd IDE drive

Post by Thomas Rung » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Did you try the "set root_disk_unit=xx" parameter during boot.

I can't boot at all. Whenever I choose fbsd on ntldr's start screen,
I get a "boot error".

It seems, that ntldr can't handle the boot block...

--
Tom

install on 2nd IDE drive

Post by wmeg2.. » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

A less complex solution to getting a dual/multi boot system is to use
Winux.  Winux is an IDE hardware switch that allows you to select boot
drives (individual drives, not partitioned).  You are allowed to have
up to three boot disks.  One might consider that needing a separate
Hard Drive for each boot a drawback, but with the price of Hard Drives
as low as they are, and the fact that you will not risk corruption of
your data by trying to reconfigure/partition one Hard Drive,  this
should be considered an asset.

You van find out more about Winux at http://www.unipress.com/winux

Quote:

> As all my searches through handbook, FAQ, dejanews, mailing lists
> and web didn't result in a solution, I'll try asking it.

> I installed FreeBSD (3.2-R) on my slave IDE disk, while NT sits
> on the master. I want to use the NT loader as boot loader, so
> I installed the boot blocks (via disklabel -B) and dd'ed it to a
> file I give to ntldr. (dd if=/dev/rwd1s1 of=/tmp/bb.bsd count=1).
> But all I get is a boot error. I *can* boot using the install disk
> and type 1:wd(1,a) during the boot process.

> disklabel uses /boot/bootX for it's work and someone mentioned,
> that these files are/work for the first drive only and one
> should hack /sys/boot/* to add support for other drives, but that
> is beyond my knowledge...

> So, is it really that hard to get FreeBSD working?

> --
> Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

I am considering installing Linux on my PC.  All of my hard drive space
is spoken for, so I would need to add a third hard drive to my system.
But, before I go out and spend a few hundred dollars on a new
hard drive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of problems
I might have if I set my PC up this way:

System is a Gw2k P5-120, 32 meg 60ns EDO ram, ATI Mach 64 graphics, on board
EIDE controller, Ensoniq Soundscape sound card.

EIDE Controller 0:
     Drive 0:  OS/2 Boot Manager
               FAT partition for Window$ '95 (*mutter* *grumble*)

     Drive 1:  5 HPFS partitions (OS/2 Warp, programs, data, news spool, etc.)

EIDE Controller 1:
     Drive 0:  ATAPI-compliant 3-disk CD-ROM drive

     Drive 1:  new HD, where Linux partitions will go

In other words, will Linux squawk at being installed on or booting from the
secondary drive on the secondary controller?  Or, do I need to look into
getting a SCSI drive?  I haven't seen anything written in the files I've
looked at that suggest that there might be a problem, but....

Also, is there anything special I need to know in shopping for a
hard drive for Linux, or about hardware problems I am going to encounter
(aside from only being able to use tray 0 of the CD-ROM drive....)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Michael Adams
Triskele Consulting

--

2. Using mouse/touchscreen w/curses?

3. Installing 2nd IDE Drive on Solaris 2.4 X86

4. !!!!YOUR VIRTUAL OFFICE CAN DO EVERYTHING!!!!

5. Odd things happening after 2nd ide drive installed...

6. How to be "root" everywhere?

7. Install to 2nd IDE controller's logical drive

8. moused: can't open /dev/psm0: ?????

9. Odd things happening after 2nd ide drive installed...

10. Problem install 2nd IDE drive in a SCSI system

11. Problems (dparam error)Installing 2nd 1.2GIG IDE Drive on SCO 3.2 4.2

12. Oddities installing 2nd IDE drive

13. Install on 2nd IDE drive.