Upgrading from 2.2.6 to 3.1

Post by webmas.. » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

  Is there something online that I can follow to upgrade from 2.2.6 to
3.1?  Is it an easy or painful upgrade?  If you have perl and other
applications installed do they work with the new 3.1 or do I have to
upgrade everything on the box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Upgrading from 2.2.6 to 3.1

Post by Mike Pumfo » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>  Is there something online that I can follow to upgrade from 2.2.6 to
>3.1?  Is it an easy or painful upgrade?  If you have perl and other
>applications installed do they work with the new 3.1 or do I have to
>upgrade everything on the box.

I have just upgraded my 2.2 stable machine using CVSup and then building
3.1 from source. Basically:
1.      Set up CVSup to get files based on the RELENG_3 tag
2.      Follow normal make build procedure but use make aout_to_elf instead
        of make world.
I actually did this using make aout_to_elf_build followed by
make aout_to_elf_install.

I did have a couple one minor problem with this approach which was that the
a.out libraries in /usr/local/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib were not moved to the
correct aout subdirectory. I think this is because the binary used for the
move was a 2.2.x dynamic binary which could no longer find libc.

The upgrade from source guide can be reached from a link in the handbook
on www.freebsd.org.

The only other thing to note about this upgrade is that either your system
needs to be bootable using the FreeBSD GENERIC kernel configuration or
you will need to prepare a new kernel config file before beginning the source
upgrade. It is unlikely that a 2.2.x kernel config file will be valid for 3.1.

The system this installs is capable of running all existing a.out binaries.
My system is still running with all of my ports built binaries and
libraries still in a.out format. I have also not upgraded X11 yet. The only
thing to note about 3.1 with respect to perl is that perl 5 is now a part
of the standard distribution and is preinstalled in /usr/bin.

If you do decide to take this upgrade route then a full backup is essential
before starting. Given the wide sweeping nature of this upgrade the risk of
a failure is quite high.

Mike

Upgrading from 2.2.6 to 3.1

Post by Andrew Boothma » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

There is some help available through the

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/upgrade.txt

document, but it doesn't contain information specific to upgrading from
a 2.2 system to a 3.x system.

I'm also facing the same problem, and I'd like to hear about any other
help you manage to get.

Thanks!

--

http://www.boothman.easynet.co.uk/andrew/
Do you what the government to have access to the nation's

Upgrading from 2.2.6 to 3.1

Post by Karl » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i recently updated all systems to 2.2.8 to have the same steps on all of
them. i want to upgrade to 3.1 stable but having the same prob.

as far as i know it should be possible to upgrade to a 3.1 a.out version
with more or less headache. but what happens if i want to upgrade to the elf
version.

are apache, perl, php3 and some other standard software available as port
for 3.1 elf version?

any suggestions and help is greatly appreziated.

best regards,

karl
Andrew Boothman schrieb in Nachricht