Starting FreeBSD 4.0 with Linux or starting Linux with FreeBSD

Starting FreeBSD 4.0 with Linux or starting Linux with FreeBSD

Post by Alexander Skwa » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello!
At the moment I'm (still?) using Linux as my "primary" OS, and would
like to start FreeBSD just from time to time.  So I'd like to set up
the Linux boot loader lilo so, that I can boot FreeBSD without much
fiddling around.

I have 3 SCSI disks in my system.  On the 1st SCSI disk there's Win98
installed, on the 2nd is FreeBSD and on the 3rd is Linux.  I do not
have any IDE disks.

I tried this configuration for lilo, but this does not work:

#----------------------------- LILO.CONF --------------------------------

boot = /dev/sdc

# Disk mappings
        #compact
        linear
        disk    = /dev/sda
                bios    = 0x81
        disk    = /dev/sdb
                bios    = 0x82
        disk    = /dev/sdc
                bios    = 0x80

#----------------------------- IMAGES --------------------------------
# Configuration for Linux
image=/vmlinuz
        root    =/dev/sdc6
        label   = linux
        alias   = 1

# Configuration for Windows
other=/dev/sda1
        optional
        label   =w98
        alias   =8
        table   =/dev/sda
        map-drive= 0x80
                to      = 0x81
        map-drive= 0x81
                to      = 0x80

# FreeBSD (mis-)configuration
other=/dev/sdb1
        optional
        label   =freebsd
        alias   =b
        table   =/dev/sdb
        map-drive=0x82
                to      =0x80
        map-drive=0x80
                to      =0x82

#----------------------------- LILO.CONF --------------------------------

When entering "freebsd" at the lilo prompt, I get an error message
saying nothing but "Boot error".  I GREPped the lilo sources for this
string, but didn't find anything.  So I suspect that this error message
comes from the FreeBSD boot manager.

Now I've got two questions:

a) How do I set up my lilo configuration, so that I'm able to boot
FreeBSD from LILO?

b) How can I set up the FreeBSD 4.0 boot manager, so that I may boot
Linux?  Currently the boot manager presents me with two choices, F1 for
FreeBSD and F5 (unsure about this one) for "Disk 1", whatever that
might be.

Thanks for your help,
Alexander Skwar
--
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com
Sichere Mail?   PGP/GnuPG Keys als Antwort auf Mail mit Betr: Get GPG Key

Starting FreeBSD 4.0 with Linux or starting Linux with FreeBSD

Post by Christian Anzenberge » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Alexander would like to start FreeBSD:

Quote:> At the moment I'm (still?) using Linux as my "primary" OS, and would
> like to start FreeBSD just from time to time.

Hello.

There is no need to map around drives if the only dumb OS resides on the
first disk. Both Linux and FreeBSD are willing to boot from the second
or any further drive too. So configure your hostadapter to boot from
SCSI-Id 0, remove the Swap-Stuff, install Lilo in the MBR and look what
happens.

If you boot Linux with any other Bootmanager, you have to install Lilo
in the partition-header of the Linux-Boot-Partition. Then install your
Bootmanager to boot from this Partition.

If it doesn't work, mail me for details. I have 10 OSes on 5 disks and i
boot whatever i want with Lilo.

Have success.
Christian.

1. FreeBSD 4.0 : where are the run level specific start up scripts/links to scripts?

OK, I use linux , and tried out 4.0 stable last night.

First:
In Linux, the scripts ( actually links to the scripts) for each run level
are stored in the rc.d directory
eg, run level 3's scripts are in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d
The acual scripts are stored in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/
Where are they on FreeBSD ?

Second : How dow I tell it to boot into a particular run level like into
"single user" mode to repair some goof up I made? At the least the part of
the FM that talks about this would be of great help.

Third : How do I get the kernel to do transparent proxying ? On linux it is
the ipchains ( 2.2.x kernels)  program that instructs the kernel on these
matters.

Many more to follow but I think I'll have my cup overflowing with these.
thanks.

Begining  fBSD user

joseph

2. Playstation 2 games to be developed on Linux

3. FREEBSD 4.0 inetd starting PPP

4. NIS server (ypserv) is buggy on Solaris8 x86

5. Jakarta-Tomcat 4.1.18 + FreeBSD + linux-sun-jdk14 won't start ...

6. INSTALL PROBLEM

7. FreeBSD 4.0R -> FreeBSD 4.0-stable using ftp?

8. Using rdump

9. FreeBSD 3.3 crashes while posting FreeBSD 4.0 crash details!!!

10. XWindows starts and starts and starts!!!

11. X can start by startx, but when started automatically after linux is loaded,it hangs

12. How do I start X automatically when I start Linux???

13. start X when starting linux