PPPoE - how to autoreconnect?

Post by Yura » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 23:18:25

 Hello!
I'm subscribed to Bell Sympatico ADSL service,  and I have setup a router using FreeBSD 4.0
and natd. My problem is that I get disconnected very oftenly. Since I don't know much about
FreeBSD, I have no idea if it's because I've set up somethign wrong or ir's Sympatico's issue.
I followed tutorials during the set up and did everything like it was written.
 My two questions:

1. Is there anything I should check that can cause dissconection?

 and if there is nothing, then....

2. How can I set up my router to recconect automatically?

All I do now is just Ctr+Al+Del everytime connection is down.

sometimes it stays online for 3 days, sometimes I reboot 2 times a day. That's pretty annoying
because stability was the main resaon I went for FreeBSD instead of some Windows software
Router.

Thanks a lot!

I'll appreciate replys by email very much.

's pretty good except that I'm getting
disconnected with no reason at all

PPPoE - how to autoreconnect?

Post by Paul Magwen » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 00:48:51

>  Hello!
> I'm subscribed to Bell Sympatico ADSL service,  and I have setup a router using FreeBSD 4.0
> and natd. My problem is that I get disconnected very oftenly. Since I don't know much about
> FreeBSD, I have no idea if it's because I've set up somethign wrong or ir's Sympatico's issue.
> I followed tutorials during the set up and did everything like it was written.
>  My two questions:

> 1. Is there anything I should check that can cause dissconection?

>  and if there is nothing, then....

> 2. How can I set up my router to recconect automatically?

In my /etc/rc.conf file I have included these three lines.

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_nat="YES"
ppp_mode="ddial"

The "ddial" mode bring the link back up anytime it is dropped.

man ppp(8) for more info.

Paul

1. RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7) problem, please help.

Hello,

I have a problem in RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7), please
help.

I am setting up linux server as NAT, which share t he internet
connection to the client PCs at home. I was using RH7.2 before and
there is no problem at all. My problem in RH8.0 is that: I setup
rp-pppoe (ifup ppp0) to run at startup of the machine. Basically, it
starts up without any problem at all. But, it never runs
/etc/ppp/ip-up. Which means that the ip masquerading process didn't
bring up at all. What I have to is to ssh to the server everytime
after the server boots up and run /etc/ppp/ip-up manually, before my
clients can use the internet connect. I realized that the
configurations files are quite different from the one that I was using
in 7.2, e.g it doesn't use /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf anymore, instated it
put all the information in
/etc/ppp/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0.

Anybody can give me some suggestions ?
Thanks
Bosco

2. MASCOT CASE for LINUX

3. rp-pppoe 3.1 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux

4. DOSEMU

5. rp-pppoe 3.3 -- Robust PPPoE client for Linux, NetBSD, and Solaris

6. UserFS

7. Non-PPPoE socket with PPPoE link up ?

8. intel pro/dsl 2100 modem

9. PPPoE, FreeBSD and multply (default) pppoe servers

10. PPPoE Server; Linux ; PPPd; Radius; PPPoE Server

11. SuSE 7.3 kernel pppoe vs. rp-pppoe

12. rp-pppoe 3.2 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux

13. pppoe + sk_run_filter