Dos Partition Install help?

Post by Charles E. Ringle » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I wrote not so long ago about trying to install freebsd v 2.1 from a dos
partion.  I am rather new to the "freeBSD" system but have worked on
various Unix and Linux systems. My problem is this, I can't install from
my Toshiba XM-5302B via the atapi.flp so I thought I would try the ol'
dos partition install.  I have copyied all of the files from the "dists"
dir on the walnut creek cdrom and recreated the respected directories
accoarding to the install guide.  Now, whenever I try the dos install,
using the generic boot.flp I get about half way thru the install and
then it crashes saying can not find "root" in .....

If anyone can help either with a Toshiba cdrom install or a dos
partition install I would be very thankful.  If there is any advice,
doc,s, faq's, or if I am "simply missing the boat" I wish some kind soul
will help guide me.  my hardware is as follows:

        Toshiba XM-5302B
        Trident VL-46 9440i video card
        Nx586 p90 chipp
        Alaris Nx586 motherboard
        Western Digital 1.2G cavier drive
        DTC 2278D Plus VLB to IDE controller Card

I have even tried swithing my cdrom to the primary ide port and the hard
drive to the secondary, which I read in a news letter that worked for
someone, but needless to say not for myself.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

=> if luck is with you, why hurry.  if luck is not with you, why hurry!
:)

1. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

From the INSTALL.TXT file:
----
1.3     Installing from a DOS partition
---     -------------------------------

To prepare for installation from an MS-DOS partition you should simply
copy the files from the distribution into a directory called
"FREEBSD".  For example, to do a minimal installation of FreeBSD from
DOS using files copied from the CDROM, you might do something like
this:

        C> MD C:\FREEBSD
        C> XCOPY /S E:\BIN C:\FREEBSD\BIN

Assuming that `C:' was where you had free space and `E:' was where
your CD was mounted.

For as many `DISTS' as you wish to install from DOS (and you have free
space for), install each one in a directory under `C:\FREEBSD' - the
BIN dist is only the minimal requirement.

----

... In other words, it doesn't just use C:\FREEBSD as an arbitrary name
in that example, it really looks there and only there! :-)

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  Co-founder/Release Manager, The FreeBSD Project

2. MI/X freeware

3. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

4. Routing Static and Default

5. Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

6. Help: Mount CDrom

7. Cant install from DOS partition.... help please

8. host -l command

9. HELP: post-install package installation from DOS partition

10. help - lost dos partitions while installing linux

11. Help! Problems installing RedHat from DOS Partition!

12. Help: Installing From DOS Partition

13. Help: Cannot access DOS partition after installing 2.0 & new LILO