PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial

PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial

Post by Darren Lay » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I've installed FreeBsd 2.1.6 with an NE2000 Ethernet card (to access
other computers on my LAN) and a modem.  All is working fine for
manually dialing out. However, when I execute

ppp -auto e  (where 'e' is the name of a profile in ppp.conf)

ppp loads fine and appears to wait for requests.

(I've also examined the latest scripts as suggested by an earilier

However, when I go to look for things outside my domain, ppp does not
automatically dial up my ISP.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Darren

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> However, when I go to look for things outside my domain, ppp does not
> automatically dial up my ISP.

You probably didn't tell it to establish a default route?

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> However, when I go to look for things outside my domain, ppp does not
>> automatically dial up my ISP.

> You probably didn't tell it to establish a default route?

Sounds about right, but the new example files have "add 0 0 HISADDR"
in both ppp.conf and ppp.linkup.

What does the log file say (/var/log/ppp.log) ?  After ppp is running,
what does "netstat -rn" say ?

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>

Post by Michael Woznia » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >> However, when I go to look for things outside my domain, ppp does not
> >> automatically dial up my ISP.

> > You probably didn't tell it to establish a default route?

> Sounds about right, but the new example files have "add 0 0 HISADDR"
> in both ppp.conf and ppp.linkup.

> What does the log file say (/var/log/ppp.log) ?  After ppp is running,
> what does "netstat -rn" say ?

> --

>       <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !

Also see the 'delete ALL' line in ppp.linkup.sample.  It's reqd for
DOD as well...
Michael S. Wozniak, Systems Developer, Secure Computing Corporation

1. "Dial on Demand" always dialling...

I'm running on my linux machine Samba and Netatalk. I tried to install
Squid to give my whole Network access to the internet.

My problem is that Linux allway's connects to the internet, although
nobody requests a connection.

 In /etc/smb.conf
I activated " interface = 10.0.0.55"

I use for eht0 the IP adress 10.0.0.x
and for the ippp0 192.168.0.x

can anybody help me ?

thanx !
herb

2. Shell script: for checking services!

3. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

4. Obtaining ty= field in the/etc/printcap file

5. dial on demand to "PPP-only" ISP

6. Expiring a html document?

7. Compiling PPP and "demand dial" error

8. Anyone know about Element-L?

9. how to set " modem don't wait for dial tone before dialing "

10. ** "asppp start" won't dial

11. dip "dial" command defaults to PULSE dialing!!!

12. PPP dials, then "sticks", can't ping...

13. "Demand Dialing" and Linux 2.x