read error when booting

Post by Joost Mulder » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to setup FreeBSD 3.3 on a Pc. The PC has an IBM Ultrastar 9LP
disk and a Adaptec 2940UW controller.  I want to use this machine solely for
FreeBSD. After setup is finished and the system is rebooted I get a 'Read
error' and no show.

I've tried different config's with our without BIOS translation and with or
without a bootmanager. I am able to boot the machine when using a
bootmanager but it gives me a boot option on every label.

I want to use the 'dangerous incompatible' option but I believe fdisk is
confused about the drive's geometry. When I set the physical geometry
parameters, fdisk states that these values are incorrect.  When I go with
fdisk's view on the geometry I can add as many partitions as I want (the
unused space does not shrink).

Any comments ?

TIA

Joost Mulders.

read error when booting

Post by J Wuns » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to setup FreeBSD 3.3 on a Pc. The PC has an IBM
> Ultrastar 9LP disk and a Adaptec 2940UW controller.  I want to use
> this machine solely for FreeBSD. After setup is finished and the
> system is rebooted I get a 'Read error' and no show.

That's because your BIOS is too stupid, ignores your hard disk, and
wants to boot a floppy (that's not there).  It then displays the `read
error' from your floppy.

Quote:> I want to use the 'dangerous incompatible' option but I believe
> fdisk is confused about the drive's geometry.

The problem is not fdisk.  The problem is that your BIOS thinks it's
smarter than you, and doesn't let you get away with a `dangerously
dedicated' disk since it believes in its indefinite smartness your
disk wouldn't boot due to not having a PeeCee-like fdisk table.

You might `convince' your BIOS by faking the (dummy) fdisk table
that's embedded in the disklabel so that it contains values acceptable
to the BIOS (i. e., aligned to stupid boundaries of no-longer-really-
existent cylinders etc.).  The BSD bootstrap itself totally ignores
its embedded fdisk table, so you can write whatever you want there
(using BSD's fdisk).

The past of least resistance is probably to not use dangerously
dedicated mode on this kind of stupid BIOSes (or to throw the machine
into the bitbucket ;-).

--
cheers, J"org

1. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

Just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.1 , installtion goes fine until it asks
to remove cdrom/floppies and reboot. Then before anything attempts to
load I get a read error when access the hard disk, then hangs there.

The machine is an old P133 ICL ErgoPro, but runs Windows 95/98 OK so I
know it will boot.

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ash

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply

2. AquaFusion Icon theme is excellent!!!

3. 2.1.* boot-up message about /dev/kmem read error

4. LLS: Install cfdisk and 12GB disk

5. NetBSD Boot Problem - 'Read error'

6. Bizarre CDROM problem: No Audio ...

7. TCP/IP in 0.98pl3 can cause a panic

8. "Read error" on first boot after 2.2.5 install

9. Make zDisk gives me error on boot (Read write)

10. boot problems, vfs, umsdos read errors

11. boot init mounting "/" read-only error

12. FreeBSD hangs on boot after install with Timeout error on HD Read