Moving BSD hard disk to a new computer

Post by MotorMa » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:54:10

The computer that I was running my FreeBSD went belly up so I took its IDE
harddisk(the only disk) and put it in a differnt computer.

Now when I start this computer, I get a prompt:

mountroot>

I typed ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

and then I get a bunch of error messages as follow:

Warning:  / was not properly dismounted
swapon:  /dev/ad4s1b: Device not configured
Can't opeen /dev/ad4s1a: Device not configured
/dev/ad4s1a: Can't check file system
/dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPETED INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck Manually
Automatic file system check failed .. help!
Enter full path name of shell or return for /bin/sh

As you can see unlike the past I've not been given the username and
password.

Any help will be appreciated.

MotorMan

Moving BSD hard disk to a new computer

Post by Dang Huyn » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:27:09

Try these steps might help you.
1. When the system prompt 9-8-7 seconds counting down time, hit any key and
boot in as single user mode. Type in "boot -s" and press enter.
2. After you boot in single user mode, try to run "fsck" command and see if
it fixes something.
3. I assume if no error, go ahead and boot in multi user mode. Type in
"exit" and press enter.
4. If any error, I think your new computer and old hard disk don't like each
other.

Good luck,

Dang Huynh

Quote:> The computer that I was running my FreeBSD went belly up so I took its IDE

Post by John Egger » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:27:41

> The computer that I was running my FreeBSD went belly up so I took its IDE
> harddisk(the only disk) and put it in a differnt computer.

> Now when I start this computer, I get a prompt:

> mountroot>

> I typed ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

> and then I get a bunch of error messages as follow:

> Warning:  / was not properly dismounted
> swapon:  /dev/ad4s1b: Device not configured
> Can't opeen /dev/ad4s1a: Device not configured
> /dev/ad4s1a: Can't check file system
> /dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPETED INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck Manually
> Automatic file system check failed .. help!
> Enter full path name of shell or return for /bin/sh

> As you can see unlike the past I've not been given the username and
> password.

> Any help will be appreciated.

> MotorMan

Hello:

I'm no expert, but it would seem that your old computer thought your hard
drive was the fifth drive. Your file /etc/fstab is referring to all of
these as this disk (ad4).

(all actual experts feel free to correct all mistakes in the following)

I think the proper route is to hit enter at the prompt for the shell and
mount the / directory manually using:

mount -rw /dev/ad0s1a /

Try ls to see if you see the directory. Once you have / mounted, you will
need to edit the fstab file. The editor you will have to use is probably
vi.

If you know how to edit with vi, change each instance of 4 to 0 and then
type mount -a and see if you can see your file system.

If you don't know how to edit with vi, reply to the NG and you may get some
pointers.

Hope that is of some assistance

JE

Post by User Llewell » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:55:12

> The computer that I was running my FreeBSD went belly up so I took its IDE
> harddisk(the only disk) and put it in a differnt computer.

> Now when I start this computer, I get a prompt:

> mountroot>

> I typed ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

> and then I get a bunch of error messages as follow:

> Warning:  / was not properly dismounted
> swapon:  /dev/ad4s1b: Device not configured

ad0s1a vs ad4s1b ? I think you have an inconsistency between how devices
    got numbered on the old machine and on the new machine. However it
    seems strange that if your drive was the only drive on the old
    machine, that it was named ad4. Maybe it was the 5th ide device
    somehow?

If you have a bootable live filesystem cd, I suggest you boot the cd,
    mount the disk's various file systems, and look about. If you've
    other space somewhere (another hard drive, for example) back up
    any essential data from the old drive, before trying to fix it.

Possibly there is nothing wrong with the fs itself, and possibly when
    your old machine went belly up it crashed with some pending soft
    updates. You should fsck each file system before trying to fix the
    references to /dev/ad4s1b and such, just in case.

Back to the device naming inconsistency. Everything on your drive that
    uses device names will be using the old names, and need to be
    changed. I think this is only a few things:

    (a) /etc/fstab

        Read 'man fstab' before starting.

        Probably you can fix /etc/fstab in a text editor, by changing
        every occurance of 'ad4' to 'ad0'. You should see something
        like this:

        # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
        /dev/ad4s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
        /dev/ad4s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
        /dev/ad4s1g             /home           ufs     rw              2       2
        /dev/ad4s1d             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
        /dev/ad4s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
        /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

        and you want it to end up something like this:

        # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
        /dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
        /dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
        /dev/ad0s1g             /home           ufs     rw              2       2
        /dev/ad0s1d             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
        /dev/ad0s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
        /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

    (b) Others? I think you can specify the root fs in boot.config or
        loader.conf, but I don't have such lines in mine.

Quote:> ...
> Can't opeen /dev/ad4s1a: Device not configured
> /dev/ad4s1a: Can't check file system
> /dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPETED INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck Manually
> Automatic file system check failed .. help!
> Enter full path name of shell or return for /bin/sh

> As you can see unlike the past I've not been given the username and
> password.

[snip]

no, but you probably got a shell prompt after pressing enter. However
    if you have a live filesystem fixit cd you should probably just
    reboot and use the cd for fixing.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:54:56

>> The computer that I was running my FreeBSD went belly up so I took its IDE
>> harddisk(the only disk) and put it in a differnt computer.
>> Now when I start this computer, I get a prompt:
>> mountroot>
>> I typed ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
>> and then I get a bunch of error messages as follow:
>> Warning:  / was not properly dismounted
>> swapon:  /dev/ad4s1b: Device not configured
>> Can't opeen /dev/ad4s1a: Device not configured
>> /dev/ad4s1a: Can't check file system
>> /dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPETED INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck Manually
>> Automatic file system check failed .. help!
>> Enter full path name of shell or return for /bin/sh
>> As you can see unlike the past I've not been given the username and
>> password.
>> Any help will be appreciated.
>I'm no expert, but it would seem that your old computer thought
>your hard drive was the fifth drive. Your file /etc/fstab is
>referring to all of these as this disk (ad4).

Not really the fifth drive - but a drive on the fifth IDE
interface.

I have some 1RU servers that I upgarded to Promise 133 controllers.
There is ONE HD in them.  It is identfied at ad4 with
boot on ad4s1a.

The first two on board IDE controllers get the first four numbers.

I suspect he may have had an add-in controller on the machine from
which he remove the drive.

Bill

--

1. Moving Linux Disk to new computer

Hi.  At the moment I am running Windows 95 on my primary Master and have
Linux (booted from a floppy) on the secondary master.  However I've just been
offered the use of a second computer which I want to dedicate to Linux.

I will be moving the HD that linux is on from my current machine to
the new one.  Is there a setup program I can run that will let me
reconfigure the hardware, mounted partitions and various other stuff
without reinstalling Linux?  I've made a lot of customisations and
installed several software packages which I don't want to do again.

Thanks
--Steve

2. PC vs. MAC what is the big deal

3. Moving a SCO Openserver 4.0 to a new Computer/Disk (5.0.4)

4. downloading servers:

5. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

6. programming sound card

7. Moving root disk to new hard drive

8. apache rotatelogs monthly?

9. ***** Moving Linux to a new hard disk

10. Help - moving SCO 3.2v4.2 to new hard disk

11. Moving of existing SCO Unix OS Rel 3.0 Version 2 to a new hard disk

12. Moving system to new hard disk

13. Moving Linux to a new hard disk?