FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE on a machine with two ISA AT/LANTIC NE2000 clones

Post by Cass » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

--
Cass

Post by jessemon.. » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> does anyone have any idea why this could be happening? I could post
> my kernel config, if it'll help. the card works fine from DOS; I've
> used the utility to monitor packets being transmitted locally across
> the LAN.

        I have several machines with your exact setup running in-house.
        They are part of a cluster. The AT/LANTIC cards are a bit
        fussy. If you have more try swapping them out.
        If not, then try I/O 280 & 300 respectively.
        Then set the IRQ to 5 and 9 or 10.
        Make sure each card has it's own I/O and IRQ.

        BTW, ed0 should be operational on in your kernel.
        If not, use the "visual configuration" editor to
        set the I/O and IRQ.

        Lastly get rid of the Matushi CD-ROM drive and anything
        else that conflicts with the address space of your LAN cards.
        The Wang tape drive and the odd-ball CD-ROM driver -- drivers
        seem to cause boot problems. Make sure to shut them down.

                                        Best Regards.
                                        Jessem.

1. Two ISA NE2000 nics under FreeBSD 3.2

I've just installed FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE onto an older 486 that I'm
trying to set up as a router between my DSL service and my local home-
grown network.  I have two ISA NE2000 clones in the machine which are
set for different irq's and i/o address (ed0 = irq 10, 0x300; ed1 = irq
11, 0x280).  After compiling a custom kernel with:

  device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
  device ed1 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 11 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

in the configuration file and rebooting, the visual configuration
editor reports a conflict between ed0 and ed1.  Further, after
disabling ed1, ed0 (the one plugged into the local network) reports
"device timeout" on boot and can't access the local network.  When the
ed0 card was installed by itself, it worked fine at those settings...

Does this sound like a hardware conflict between the two NE2000 boards
or is there some additional configuration I need to do in order to get
two similar boards to work (like different iomem settings)?

Feel free to email responses to me.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. glibc-2.2.1 compilation

3. FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE & DD-UP

4. Want to remove KDE2.0, run KDE2.1 apps

5. Weird telnet/scm/otherstuff behaviour under X/FreeBSD 3.4-Release

6. openssh

7. Can't use ipf in FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE

8. Linux Kernel 2.0.X + ncpfs + smbfs + masquerade

9. Realtek 8139 behaves strangely with FreeBSD 3.4 release

10. [Q} FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE: Cannot find root directory/man/

11. Installing DHCP on FreeBSD 3.4-release

12. Second SCSI Host Adapter -- FreeBSD 3.4 ???

13. ISA NE2000 Clone + 2.2.15 SMP Kernel Problems