freebsd and win2k

Post by Martin Meul » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 05:09:39

Hi,

I have a win2k notebook where I installed freebsd on the second partition
(2Gig, hope its enough)
The notbook is primarly used for win2k and I do not like the idea of
changing my MBR.

Can anybody give me some pointers how boot freebsd with win2k boot manager ?

I tried adding the following lines to boot.ini
--
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\boot2="Free BSD boot 2"
c:\tmp\boot2="bsd c boot 2"

Regards Martin

freebsd and win2k

Post by Volker Sto » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:16:37

Quote:> Can anybody give me some pointers how boot freebsd with win2k boot manager ?

There's a FAQ somewhere out there explaining how to dd the bootsector from BSD
and put it in a file which you can use for the boot selector.

It works, I did it myself but I can't remember the details.
--

freebsd and win2k

Quote:> Hi,

?

> I tried adding the following lines to boot.ini
> --
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\boot2="Free BSD boot 2"
> c:\tmp\boot2="bsd c boot 2"
> c:\tmp\boot3="bsd cboot 3"
> --
> bot none of them works
> (I get the choice on the boot screen but not much more)

You need to copy the Bootsector from FreeBSD and use it in the Win2k
Bootmanager.

you do this with the command:

dd of=Bootsect.bsd if=/dev/"where_your_bootsector_of_bsd_is_installed bs=512
count=1

This copies the first sector into a File named Bootsect.bsd.
The easiest way to do it is to copy the bootsector into the bootsector of
the slice wich houses all bsd partitions. (You may correct me if I'm wrong)

After you have the bootsector you just copy it to c:\Bootsect.bsd and add
the following to Boot.ini

C:\Bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"

This should work

Regards

Christian

freebsd and win2k

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:08:37

> Hi,

> I have a win2k notebook where I installed freebsd on the second partition
> (2Gig, hope its enough)
> The notbook is primarly used for win2k and I do not like the idea of
> changing my MBR.

> Can anybody give me some pointers how boot freebsd with win2k boot manager ?

> I tried adding the following lines to boot.ini
> --
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\boot2="Free BSD boot 2"
> c:\tmp\boot2="bsd c boot 2"
> c:\tmp\boot3="bsd cboot 3"
> --
> bot none of them works
> (I get the choice on the boot screen but not much more)

> Regards Martin

If you have no success with another method and decide to try the
bootloader on the MBR latter, look in the /tools directory of the
FreeBSD install ISO, if you have it, for bootinst.exe.  This will
install a (slightly modified?) FreeBSD bootloader bootsector on your
first HD MBR; be careful.  I used the standard bootsector first but it
detected the NTFS partition as ??.  Now it is detected as HPFS; an
improvement.  Don't, whatever you do, just use /stand/sysinstall because
you will nuke your NTFS filesystem.  The FreeBSD FAQ has a section on
it.

IanP

freebsd and win2k

Post by Dark » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:09:12

> > Can anybody give me some pointers how boot freebsd with win2k boot manager ?

> There's a FAQ somewhere out there explaining how to dd the bootsector from BSD
> and put it in a file which you can use for the boot selector.

> It works, I did it myself but I can't remember the details.
> --

Yeah,follow Christian or use System Commander 2000.Works perfectly!
I have Win2K boot manager once working but after some time FreeBSD
smashed my partition table resulting in lost of all partitions except
the NTFS one. (so I got myself separate harddisk for freeBSD now)

Darko