masked dir

Post by ansiffe » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:41:20

How do you mask a directory when somone ftp's in only to show the /
home dir of the user and to stop them FTP access back into the server
;-(

masked dir

Post by R. Follet » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:23:23

> How do you mask a directory when somone ftp's in only to show the /
> home dir of the user and to stop them FTP access back into the server
> ;-(

Fron man ftpd:

  5.   If the user name appears in the file /etc/ftpchroot, or the user is

chroot.

--
R. Follett

remove the "not" from the e-mail address

1. Autofs home dirs over NFS without masking local ones?

If I use an auto.master like:

/home   /etc/auto.home --timeout=60

then when autofs mounts /home any local home directories are masked. This
is fine if *all* home directories are mounted over NFS.

However, I want to mount *some* home directories and some not.

One solution would be to simply put the NFS mounted home directories
somewhere else. But that would be inconsistent. Why should I have some
home directories scattered about.

Another solution would be to mount the home directory somewhere else
and then create a soft link to it (e.g. cd /home && ln -s /mnt/miallen
miallen). But having a link for a home directory is sub-optimal. You
have no control over it's permissions and some programs can be configured
not to follow links.

So, I ask, what is the best way to NFS mount home directories without
masking local home directories?

Thanks,
Mike

2. unmounting MFS

3. Apache MultiViews: /dir returns /dir/, not dir.html

4. New Openwin/XView libraries for XFrere86-3.1

5. weird... can't put a cd \dir\dir\dir\ in a .csh file...

6. Recordable CD

7. process affinity mask and system affinity mask

8. Big problem with MDK 8.1, SB 16 PnP and sound

9. mask request / mask reply

10. Help: script to read from list of dirs , mask and get(ftp) said mask of files from server(input)

11. How do I display current dir if no dir is given

12. dir timestamps vs dir/file timestamps

13. Two dirs with equal names in a dir???