best performing network card....

Post by Jeremy L. Ramire » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have been running one of my machines (FreeBSD 2.2.5 and recently to 3.0) on
a 3Com Fast Etherlink XL with no problems.  This machine has been online 24/7
for now just over a year.

I have another machine running 3.0 with the same NIC and have not had any
problems
with it either.

  Good luck in whichever you decide to use.

Post by Dale Walke » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Any suggestions on what a _good_ network card for FBSD is...

I'm upgrading 10 of my boxes and I thought this is one area to gain
performance cost-effectively...

I'm currently using:
intel etherexpress, and generic pci ne2000 compat

I was thinking of running some 3com (pci 3com XL)... but I had heard that
the driver wasn't stable...

Any thoughts/comments.....

best performing network card....

Post by perso » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Any suggestions on what a _good_ network card for FBSD is...
> I'm currently using:
> intel etherexpress, and generic pci ne2000 compat

Get an Intel Etherexpress 100B PCI card.  It's not cheap, but you get what
you pay for.  NE2000 cards are all trash.  Not only are most so generic the
manufacturer won't even put their name on it, but they waste lots of CPU time
as the card itself is "dumb" cand can do much by itself.

Post by Jason O'Rour » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Get an Intel Etherexpress 100B PCI card.  It's not cheap, but you get what
>you pay for.  NE2000 cards are all trash.  Not only are most so generic the

What is it current named?  The 100B is no longer the current model.  I
tried ordering on based on advice here in early October, no success.  So I
instead grabbed one of the last remaining dec based Netgear NICs.  BTW, it
may still be possible to find these in the home 100bt packs that has two
nics and a 4 port 100bt hub.

Intel is really bad about naming - the PCMCIA 100Pro has the same name as
the PCI one, and there were two versions, a 16bit cardbus and a 32bit
cardbus version.  Can anyone confirm that the 32bit cardbus ought to work?

--

'96 BMW r850R
last dive: November 14th (night), Breakwater Monterey.  28 mins at 31ft max.

best performing network card....

Post by Richard Stein » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>What is it current named?  The 100B is no longer the current model.

The later cards are called EtherExpress Pro/100+ cards, methinks.

--

    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
     WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

1. Best Video Card - Best Sound Card - HELP!!

Your 2 cents worth please!

I want 16/32M AGP graphics with good 3D performance, a TV tuner (I
guess this needs a BT848 or similar), realtime video capture & playback
(some form of MPEG compression?). I don't need Linux support for the TV
or Video right away so long as it's in the pipeline. Am I expecting too
much from one card? Am I better off buying a graphics card and a
seperate TV/Video card - if so, please let me have your recommendations.

I am aware that some graphics card manufacturers have been hostile, or
less than helpful, to the open source community and I would prefer not
to buy their products, given a choice.

Regarding sound cards, most of the advice I have received points to the
sound blaster awe64 or such. What of the SoundBlaster Live! value or
quality clones.

All advice gratefully received.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Good shell programming book?

3. Which Dell PERC 3 controller performs best?

4. Linux kernel v1.2.4

5. Best way to perform a function as root

7. best pcmcia network card

8. Terminal viewer

9. Best wireless network card for linux?

10. Best network card?

11. Best Linux Network Cards

12. Which 100baseT network card is the best?

13. Soliciting opinions on best network card for Linux