DOS Edit-like Text Editor Needed

Post by kallan.. » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Please don't ask why, but I need a text editor that runs on
FreeBSD and acts like the old DOS Edit command.  Anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Jason Neuman » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Please don't ask why, but I need a text editor that runs on
> FreeBSD and acts like the old DOS Edit command.  Anyone have any
> suggestions?

> Thanks in advance

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you're looking for a full screen editor, try  ee

Post by R. Follet » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Please don't ask why, but I need a text editor that runs on FreeBSD and
> acts like the old DOS Edit command.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Try le in the ports.

R. Follett

DOS Edit-like Text Editor Needed

Post by John Nielse » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Another possibility (in addition to those already mentioned) is
PICO.  It's not listed under the "editors" ports, because it is a part of
the mail client package Pine.

You probably won't find a console program a lot like DOS's editor (in
regards to colors, menus, etc) since most unix and open-source console
programs are designed to be run on a variety of possible terminals,
including some that have very limited functionality.  Program
functionality is alive and well, though--there are just different ways of
doing things.

JN

Quote:> Please don't ask why, but I need a text editor that runs on