Step by Step Documentation??

Post by thebl.. » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have just purchased FreeBSD 2.1, and am therefore very new to Unix.
I have looked at the man pages and the supplied ducumentation on the CD, but
I am having a terrible time of setting up what is required to connect to the
NET. Does anybody know of a location which documents in a step by step fashion
how to set up my internet connection(yes, I have also browsed the FreeBSD
homepage with no more success).
TIA,
       Martin

Step by Step Documentation??

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I have just purchased FreeBSD 2.1, and am therefore very new to
> Unix.  I have looked at the man pages and the supplied ducumentation
> on the CD, but I am having a terrible time of setting up what is
> required to connect to the NET. Does anybody know of a location
> which documents in a step by step fashion [...]

Interesting, if you have purchased FreeBSD 2.1 recently, you should
have got Greg Lehey's ``Installing and Running FreeBSD'' as well.
Pity if you haven't, but i think you can also buy it from Walnut
Creek.  It's certainly targeted for people like you.

--
cheers, J"org

Step by Step Documentation??

Post by Carl D. Crave » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have just purchased FreeBSD 2.1, and am therefore very new to Unix.
>I have looked at the man pages and the supplied ducumentation on the CD, but
>I am having a terrible time of setting up what is required to connect to the
>NET. Does anybody know of a location which documents in a step by step fashion
>how to set up my internet connection(yes, I have also browsed the FreeBSD
>homepage with no more success).

I think the Handbook, which is available from the home page, is a pretty
sufficient resource to help get things moving.

Part of the problem here is that Unix is an intricate system... it's not
quite plug-n-play like DOS and Windows are because there are so many
subsystems and features to work with.  In order to really get things
going with actual networking, you'd probably be best off buying the
fairly recent FreeBSD book from Walnut Creek CDROM or a good Unix system
administration manual.

--

Squirt guns don't squirt people, kids do.

1. Step by Step Diagnostic and Troubleshooting Documentation

Dear News Group Editor

I request technical experts and gurus to  adopt a writing style which
should be able to give the step by step guide to identify the problem
and then be able to suggest the solutions accordingly.

What I have noticed so far that the solutions suggested by experts are
very common and can be found in "How To .." and "Mini how to ..". A
step by step dignostic of the problem will be very helpful and
appericiated grately.

It would also be useful if we can have a specific newsgroup for
diagnosis of the problems.

Best regards.

Arun Arora

2. help on setting up a dial in modem

3. Installation step by step for dumbys :)

4. linux ELF

5. one step forward, two steps back

6. Error: LILO doesn't support VGA mode presetting

7. Securing Solaris (HELP ME)Step by Step?????????

8. Transferred domain: How long does it take for my new ipaddress to work with my domain name?

9. Step-by-step instructions to set up 2 computer home network?

10. one step forward, two steps back..

11. Perl Debugger/step by step code Interpreter

12. Logitech Soundman Wave: Step by step?

13. Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?