crc errors in tar files

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I recently was unpacking the full FreeBSD source distribution in
single-user mode (with install.sh all), and I noticed that I got a crc
error in the sys dist.  But when I tried to upack the sys distribution by
itself, the gzip errors went away.  I repeated this a couple of more times
with no errors.  I had everything mounted async.

I wonder if this is a meta-data problem that occasionally occurs on
filesystems mounted async.  Again, this error occured on a tarball, but
then went away on the next try.  I didn't modify the file in any way.

        Donn

crc errors in tar files

Post by Donn Mille » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I recently was unpacking the full FreeBSD source distribution in
> single-user mode (with install.sh all), and I noticed that I got a crc
> error in the sys dist.  But when I tried to upack the sys distribution by
> itself, the gzip errors went away.  I repeated this a couple of more times
> with no errors.  I had everything mounted async.

It's OK now; my memory was just bad.

        Donn

1. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

hi

I have downloaded the mozilla source twice from their web site. I
download it at school using RH 7.1 & 6.2 and then I copyed it onto my
zip disk and carried it home and ftp it from my RH 7.1 machine to
solaris. both times and also once when I made a tar of my own I get a
directory checksum error. I am very sure the files are the correct size.

I see that I have options to use -i ignore with the solaris tar program
and I use star and it extracts without error.

Does anyone else consistently get errors with solaris's tar program and
large file's?. I don't get any error's when I gunzip or bunzip2 them.

It seems funny- I have always used gzip and bzip to sort of protect my
tar files from checksum errors I always expect to get the error with
them first.

Is it the mozilla download?  or is it the diffrence between- every one
else using a diffrent version of tar like gnu? or can anyone see
anything I am doing wrong?

I never get errors with small files < 20 meg that I can remember, but
the last couple mozilla and the one I made were a little over 200meg
uncompressed.

THis isn't really a big problem because star and -i work but I am still
very concerned about the stability of my files.

Thanks
dm

2. PPP server set-up

3. Wanted: rcmd host tar x_?_vqf file.tar file1 ... fileN | tar xvf -

4. books on building external hardware for BSD.

5. DHCP - gz file CRC error

6. Problems with S3-trio3d

7. tar xzf file or tar -xzf file?

8. Setting up a printer filter?

9. CRC errors while downloading files with rz

10. Scripting Help: tar a dir with time and date as file tar file name..................TIA

11. File Transfer Halts - CRC Error

12. invalid compressed data crc-error on files ftp-ed via ppp link

13. (Q) How to test RPM file for CRC errors on non-Linux platform?