Setting up a small news server

Post by DrCla » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:24:22

Oh, before I forget -

running FreeBSD 4.4 (upgrade to 4.5 soon)

Quote:> Hey :)

Post by DrCla » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:23:40

Hey :)

I'm currently in the process of switching ISP's, and there's a few ng's i'd
like to still be available when i switch over. Unfortunately my new ISP
doesn't keep the binaries from non-binary NG's, and there's a few in
particular i'd like to be able to access.

I know a little about news servers, but not enough to set this up.

How would I go about doing this? Or would I be better off finding an
upstream news server somewhere that I could dload one or two groups from?

Thanks

Setting up a small news server

Post by Simon Barne » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:55:30

Hi,

Quote:> I know a little about news servers, but not enough to set this up.

You could try leafnode+ from the ports collection. It is easy to set up, and has
the feature to fetch news from multiple servers.

You fetch your news with a tool called fetchnews then, and point your news
client to your own news server listening on localhost.

HTH,
 Simon

Setting up a small news server

Post by Michael Sierchi » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:13:41

Apologies in advance, but a small news server is like a St-Bernard
puppy.  It's only small for the moment...

--
By sending unsolicited commercial email to any address in the poster's
domain, you consent to the terms set forth here:

        http://www.tenebras.com/uce.html

which include a minimum processing and archiving fee of USD 500.00.

Setting up a small news server

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:36:19

Quote:

>Apologies in advance, but a small news server is like a St-Bernard
>puppy.  It's only small for the moment...

Not if you restrict the groups you are getting to just what you
need/read.  I have about 60MB on line, and I have a total of
62 groups in active.

--

Setting up a small news server

I only want 3 ng's - is that small?

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:26:31

>I only want 3 ng's - is that small?

That's REALLY SMALL!.  My 62 is small compared to the 30-60K groups
out there [I see various numbers]

--

Setting up a small news server

Post by DrCla » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:37:41

Yeah i know :->

is there a list of upstream news providers so i can try to find one that has
the NG that I want? Who do you use, or do you use your ISP's news server?

Post by RS » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:44:18

> Yeah i know :->

> is there a list of upstream news providers so i can try to find one that has
> the NG that I want? Who do you use, or do you use your ISP's news server?

Check out http://news.cis.dfn.de/

They'll let you read and post, you just need to register with them first
though (free).

Post by Bart Lateu » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:40:12

>> Yeah i know :->

>> is there a list of upstream news providers so i can try to find one that has
>> the NG that I want? Who do you use, or do you use your ISP's news server?

>Check out http://news.cis.dfn.de/

>They'll let you read and post, you just need to register with them first
>though (free).

Somebody please fill me in: how can running your own private news server
connected to a public news server offer you posts that you would miss if
you just used a regular news reader directly, provided you check the
news often enough, so that expiration of the posts is not the problem?

--
        Bart.

Setting up a small news server

Post by Lars Eighne » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:34:20

the lovely and talented Bart Lateur broadcast on
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

Quote:> Somebody please fill me in: how can running your own private news server
> connected to a public news server offer you posts that you would miss if
> you just used a regular news reader directly, provided you check the
> news often enough, so that expiration of the posts is not the problem?

Of course the situation with missing posts is not helped if you only
have one source for news.  You might as well just point your
newsreader directly at the source.

There are a few advantages of operating a local news server.  It
can combine the input from several different sources if you have
them.  Once you have captured articles, you can set the expires
to your own preference.  You can have the advantages of offline
news reading, which may be especially significant if you have
dial-up connections with your various news source.  Essentially
you can download the groups you are interested in all in one call
(per server) and then you can upload your follow-ups in another.

--

           My last cow just died, so I won't need your bull anymore.

Setting up a small news server

Post by DrCla » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:15:04

I assume that my ISP is getting their news data from upstream somewhere, and
I was hoping to find a way to access that news stream and get the binary
files that my ISP does not store.

It's just an idea - i have no idea how to actually do it :D

> >> Yeah i know :->

> >> is there a list of upstream news providers so i can try to find one
that has
> >> the NG that I want? Who do you use, or do you use your ISP's news
server?

> >Check out http://news.cis.dfn.de/

> >They'll let you read and post, you just need to register with them first
> >though (free).

> Somebody please fill me in: how can running your own private news server
> connected to a public news server offer you posts that you would miss if
> you just used a regular news reader directly, provided you check the
> news often enough, so that expiration of the posts is not the problem?

> --
> Bart.

Setting up a small news server

Post by Michael Sierchi » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:46:31

NNTP propagation is "totally friggin' ridiculous" and should
be done by multicast.  There -- have I started a new thread? '=O

--
By sending unsolicited commercial email to any address in the poster's
domain, you consent to the terms set forth here:

        http://www.tenebras.com/uce.html

which include a minimum processing and archiving fee of USD 500.00.

1. Setting up small news server for 100 groups!

Hello There!

I'm trying to setup INN for a school where it will carry only 100
newsgroups like ... comp.os.linux.*, comp.os.solaris.* etc ...

now, when I looked for a free incoming newsfeed, I almost found none
and right now, I'm trying to set this INN up just like any news client
for a free news server. There are some free news servers which only
offers client access.

So, anyone please suggest me how to setup the INN to act as client to
those free news servers? I already have my INN installed as
standalone.

thanks in advance.

raqueeb hassan
bangladesh

2. upgrade processor

3. Setting up a news server (C News or INN)

4. Typical LINUX Newcomer Seeks to Avoid Peril

5. in innd news server how to set some user can kill news ?

6. How do I change default OS in lilo?

7. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. pipes & blocking/nonblocking IO

9. Small low-power motherboard for small linux server

10. Setting up a small isp server.

11. Setting Up Proxy Server on Small Network

12. setting up news server

13. How to set up a News Server ??