usb HD mount

Post by Jason Neuman » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:17:04

I have just borrowed a usb hard disk from a friend and I would like to
mount it under FreeBSD-4.4-STABE (Sept 17) It has dos partition. It is
recognized by the kernel as:

ugen0: ScanLogic USBIDE ScanLogic USBIDE, rev 1.01/0.21, addr 3

I tried:

mount -t msdos /dev/ugen0 /mnt
mount -t msdos /dev/ugen0.3 /mnt

I get the error:
msdos: /dev/ugen0: Block device required

Any Ideas?

usb HD mount

Post by Mark Sling » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:01:57

> I have just borrowed a usb hard disk from a friend and I would like to
> mount it under FreeBSD-4.4-STABE (Sept 17) It has dos partition. It is
> recognized by the kernel as:

> ugen0: ScanLogic USBIDE ScanLogic USBIDE, rev 1.01/0.21, addr 3

> I tried:

> mount -t msdos /dev/ugen0 /mnt
> mount -t msdos /dev/ugen0.3 /mnt

> I get the error:
> msdos: /dev/ugen0: Block device required

> Any Ideas?

Wouldn't that be a umass device instead of ugen?

Mark.

--
Mark Slingo

http://www.slingo.nq.nu

usb HD mount

Post by Jason Neuman » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:20:51

> > ... It is recognized by the kernel as:

> > ugen0: ScanLogic USBIDE ScanLogic USBIDE, rev 1.01/0.21, addr 3

> > Any Ideas?

> Wouldn't that be a umass device instead of ugen?

That's what I thought, and since ugen is the usb 'generic' device, I
have assumed that the kernel has successfully identified the device
name, but it is not compatible as a usb storage device under usb
(umass)?

Has anyone successfully used a usb storage device?

Jason

1. mount USB HD

I have an external USB harddisk which contains two FAT32 partitions.
How can I mount it to my Redhat 8.0?

When I type
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd

The machine hangs and then say "Kernel Panic".... something like that
Then I reboot and investigate dmesg, it shows:

modprobe:modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2

2. AlphaServer 1000A memory test from SRM console?

3. mount USB HD problem

4. netid map and NIS(YP) - which platforms supported?

5. Sun's Mozilla 1.2.1 beta binary can't handle flash plugin

6. Which kernel for usb-storage driver for USB HD?

7. Filedescriptor count/LWP.

8. Cannot mount HD with AHA29 ad Segate HD

9. HD Problem...Is it possible to fix HD to be able to mount it?

10. Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

11. ??Question about sparc solaris commands to mount, read/write to usb memory jumpdrives/ USB memory stick

12. Removable IDE HD: mounting and mounting ?