change my http port number?

change my http port number?

Post by Web Manage » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 06:53:59



Hello,

I run a small test box at home and I have a cable modem ISP. I used to
present my work by sending my IP number to clients... Now, impossible.
My guest is that my ISP has blocked this port from the outside (within
the cable-modem?)!

The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf  but
what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
port are ok.

What port number should I use?


Help!

Thanks
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Des Coughl » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 07:55:45



> I run a small test box at home and I have a cable modem ISP. I used to
> present my work by sending my IP number to clients... Now, impossible.
> My guest is that my ISP has blocked this port from the outside (within
> the cable-modem?)!

> The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf  but
> what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
> port are ok.

> What port number should I use?

There's an RFC kicking about, about ports, but couldn't you change the
HTTP port in /etc/services ..?  

--
Des Coughlan            |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

http://www.chez.com/desmondcoughlan/
Cl Publique: http://www.chez.com/desmondcoughlan/pgp/pubring.pkr
*****************************************************************************
Serveur IRC ... Libre, Sans Censure, Gratuit ... 212.198.69.6

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by bill » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:13:43



> Hello,

> I run a small test box at home and I have a cable modem ISP. I used to
> present my work by sending my IP number to clients... Now, impossible.
> My guest is that my ISP has blocked this port from the outside (within
> the cable-modem?)!

Are you sure they didn't just assign you a different ip via DHCP?

reassign ips.

Quote:> The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf  but
> what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
> port are ok.

If they are actually filtering that port call them up and ask if they
are doing this.  They may have done it accidentally.  If they said
they did it on purpose * about it, and say there wasn't anything
in your contract saying the could filter your data.

I believe common carrier laws may apply in this situation (but I could
be wrong, and just talking out of my ass). =)

-billy

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Web Manage » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:24:42




> > The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf  but
> > what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
> > port are ok.

> Use the Port directive in your .conf file (Port XXXX).

> > What port number should I use?

> Pretty much any port not already in use, 8080 is a popular one.

> You'll need to specify the port in your URL, http://some.host:8080/index.html

> --
> Kelly D. Grills

> http://www.kdg-engineering.com/~kdgrills

Yes, I did that but it's not as elegant! To use a regular URL (without
the port number), is there something more to do or is all browsers by
default only look at port 80 (443 for https) and out of our hands?

Thanks!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Kyle Cran » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 15:00:27


Its out of your hands.  Browsers look at port 80 for standard HTTP and 443
for SSL connections.  Thats pretty much hardcoded in the browser.  You have
to specify the port in the URL or live with the block.

Kyle




> > > The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf
but
> > > what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
> > > port are ok.

> > Use the Port directive in your .conf file (Port XXXX).

> > > What port number should I use?

> > Pretty much any port not already in use, 8080 is a popular one.

> > You'll need to specify the port in your URL,

http://some.host:8080/index.html

- Show quoted text -

> > --
> > Kelly D. Grills

> > http://www.kdg-engineering.com/~kdgrills

> Yes, I did that but it's not as elegant! To use a regular URL (without
> the port number), is there something more to do or is all browsers by
> default only look at port 80 (443 for https) and out of our hands?

> Thanks!
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Marc Andre Paquin

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 15:41:13


On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:53:59 -0400

WM> The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf
WM> but
WM> what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
WM> port are ok.

        Nothing, if your not using port 80 it doesn't matter if your ISP
is blocking it.


        Er, if you are serving HTTP on port 80 you *are* running a web site,
possibly a small nameless one, but still a web site.

--
    Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun

                        http://www.best.com/~sohara

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Web Manage » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 03:06:20




> > Hello,

> > I run a small test box at home and I have a cable modem ISP. I used to
> > present my work by sending my IP number to clients... Now, impossible.
> > My guest is that my ISP has blocked this port from the outside (within
> > the cable-modem?)!

> Are you sure they didn't just assign you a different ip via DHCP?

> reassign ips.

Well, the hole PC would be off the internet (ftp, etc + I could not
browse my self)

Quote:> > The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf  but
> > what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
> > port are ok.

> If they are actually filtering that port call them up and ask if they
> are doing this.  They may have done it accidentally.  If they said
> they did it on purpose * about it, and say there wasn't anything
> in your contract saying the could filter your data.

> I believe common carrier laws may apply in this situation (but I could
> be wrong, and just talking out of my ass). =)

> -billy

8-)

Before making a scene, I wanted to know if I could have a plan B

Thanks!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Péman m » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 04:30:16


I have the same issue I believe my ISP has closed off port 80 and I cannot
see my webserver from the outside.



> > > Hello,

> > > I run a small test box at home and I have a cable modem ISP. I used to
> > > present my work by sending my IP number to clients... Now, impossible.
> > > My guest is that my ISP has blocked this port from the outside (within
> > > the cable-modem?)!

> > Are you sure they didn't just assign you a different ip via DHCP?

> > reassign ips.

> Well, the hole PC would be off the internet (ftp, etc + I could not
> browse my self)

> > > The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf
but
> > > what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
> > > port are ok.

> > If they are actually filtering that port call them up and ask if they
> > are doing this.  They may have done it accidentally.  If they said
> > they did it on purpose * about it, and say there wasn't anything
> > in your contract saying the could filter your data.

> > I believe common carrier laws may apply in this situation (but I could
> > be wrong, and just talking out of my ass). =)

> > -billy

> 8-)

> Before making a scene, I wanted to know if I could have a plan B

> Thanks!
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Marc Andre Paquin

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Mike S » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 05:04:13


> Are you sure they didn't just assign you a different ip via DHCP?

> reassign ips.


"to halt the spread of Code Red".  I haven't checked
to see if they have done this yet, but that's their
threat.  (Not to mention their lousy 128kbps upstream
cap -- HALF of what the LOWEST end DSL is...  but
that's another story for another day :^(

Mike

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by bill » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 05:19:21




> "to halt the spread of Code Red".  I haven't checked
> to see if they have done this yet, but that's their
> threat.  (Not to mention their lousy 128kbps upstream
> cap -- HALF of what the LOWEST end DSL is...  but
> that's another story for another day :^(


running.  If they ever to block port 80 I am going to * at them.
I don't really understand what the big deal is about Code Red other
than adding a lot of "spam" to my web-log.

-billy

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Gordon Burdi » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:17:45


Quote:>> I run a small test box at home and I have a cable modem ISP. I used to
>> present my work by sending my IP number to clients... Now, impossible.
>> My guest is that my ISP has blocked this port from the outside (within
>> the cable-modem?)!

Probably at their router.  It is also possible to block *ALL INCOMING
TCP CONNECTIONS*, with the possible exception of the FTP data port.
This lets most services work, but peer-to-peer * (or peer-to-peer
anything) and running servers won't.

>Are you sure they didn't just assign you a different ip via DHCP?

>reassign ips.

>> The default number is 80. I know how to change this in apache.conf  but
>> what else must I do to bypass the ISP restriction on port 80... Other
>> port are ok.

You would need to change the default port on other people's browsers
(those of your clients), which would break them for ordinary browsing.  
Your only reasonable way out is to specify the port number in
the URL ( http://www.veryComputer.com/:8080/nospam.html )

Quote:>If they are actually filtering that port call them up and ask if they
>are doing this.  They may have done it accidentally.  If they said
>they did it on purpose * about it, and say there wasn't anything
>in your contract saying the could filter your data.



aggressive about this, and cancel accounts in under a minute (cable
modem lights go out, start flashing, or whatever) while you're
still on the phone but before they tell you your account is cancelled.

It's a trap, and they're tricking you into ratting on yourself.
Cable companies have been known to set traps in other contexts,
such as offering deals you can't refuse on a cable program viewable
by everyone *EXCEPT* authorized subscribers, leaving the people
with hacked descramblers that can decode anything as the only ones
who can see it.

Quote:>I believe common carrier laws may apply in this situation (but I could
>be wrong, and just talking out of my ass). =)

I doubt these would be of much help.

                                        Gordon L. Burditt

 
 
 

change my http port number?

Post by Rasput » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:01:24


In the last exciting episode of comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,




>> You'll need to specify the port in your URL, http://some.host:8080/index.html
> Yes, I did that but it's not as elegant! To use a regular URL (without
> the port number), is there something more to do or is all browsers by
> default only look at port 80 (443 for https) and out of our hands?

If you ISP is like most, they assume that https servers are beyond the
grasp/budget of mortals - why not throw in apache+modssl?

--
You know it's going to be a bad day when you want to put on the clothes
you wore home from the party and there aren't any.
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::

 
 
 

1. https not working as root on SunOS 5.7(any port number)

Hi All,
Please read this completely before you come to conclusion. This works
fine on SunOS 5.6 as root  but refuses to work on 5.7.
I installed apache 1.3.14 on SunOS 5.7 (I guess solaris 7). It works
fine if I am starting this as regular user. But when I start the same
config as root it works for http port but does not listen to https port
at all. No LOGS at all.
In my config:
- I have
    User ....  Tried with nobody and other users, but no use.
    Group..... Tried with #-1 and other groups but no use.
- I have Port 8080
- I am listening to both secure & non-secure ports using
    Listen 8080
    Listen 8443
- I have <VirtualHost _default_:8443> setup
Thanks for any Help.
-Sri

2. What's wrong with my terminal?

3. changing http port

4. BIOS interrupts under Linux

5. HTTP Port Change

6. help setting time with atomic clock

7. Changing http to https??

8. Formatting DOS-disks under Linux?

9. http and https on the same port

10. HTTP and HTTPS are listening on one port

11. HTTPS to HTTP port forwarding

12. What port is used for HTTP-FTP,HTTP-GOPHER?

13. How to change port number for Proftpd