top

top

Post by Niklas Sae » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00



Hi. I run a dual PII system with FreeBSD 3.2, but when i write top, it
gives me:

CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
  531 root       2   0 34380K 32704K select 1   1:27  0.00%  0.00% XF86_SVGA
  614 root      -6   0  5188K  4376K biord  1   0:37  0.00%  0.00% cvsup
  557 beren      2   0  7620K  3620K select 1   0:13  0.00%  0.00% enlightenmen
  637 root       2   0   936K   620K select 1   0:01  0.00%  0.00% make

as you can se, a whole lot of 0%. Now I know this isn't true, especially
since I don't end up with 100%. How do I get top to figure out what's right
with both cpu's in mind?

Sincerely yours

        Niklas Saers

 
 
 

top

Post by Tony Voe » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00



> Hi. I run a dual PII system with FreeBSD 3.2, but when i write top, it
> gives me:

> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% > ...

This can happen when top/ps doesn't match the running kernel. Some
examples:

* a make world without installing a matching kernel
* a running kernel built from cvsupped sources without a rebuilt top/ps

tv

 
 
 

top

Post by Niklas Sae » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>This can happen when top/ps doesn't match the running kernel. Some
>examples:
>* a make world without installing a matching kernel
>* a running kernel built from cvsupped sources without a rebuilt top/ps

Eh, do I need to do top in a separate build? I've cvsup'ed the releng_3 tree
and done a kernel-make and a world with about an hours interval (that's the
time it takes to make the world) I think it should be pretty good synced
like that.

        Niklas

 
 
 

top

Post by Tony Voe » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00



> Eh, do I need to do top in a separate build? I've cvsup'ed the releng_3 tree
> and done a kernel-make and a world with about an hours interval (that's the
> time it takes to make the world) I think it should be pretty good synced
> like that.

Yes, a make world includes top. For future upgrades I think it's better
to do a make world first, followed by building a new kernel and a
reboot. This way your kernel gets built with the new config and the new
compiler.

My guess a kernel compile using config -r will fix your problems now.

tv

 
 
 

top

Post by Niklas Sae » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>Yes, a make world includes top. For future upgrades I think it's better
>to do a make world first, followed by building a new kernel and a
>reboot. This way your kernel gets built with the new config and the new
>compiler.

This is the way I usually compile, yes. :)

Quote:>My guess a kernel compile using config -r will fix your problems now.

Sorry, did that. And I ended up with exactly the same. :-I Any other ideas?
Is there any chance I've configured my kernel with only partial SMP-support?

Sincerely yours

        Niklas Saers

 
 
 

top

Post by Tony Voe » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00



> Sorry, did that. And I ended up with exactly the same. :-I Any other ideas?

Due to complete lack of SMP hardware this was my best shot.

Quote:> Is there any chance I've configured my kernel with only partial SMP-support?

Yes, judging by your top output you've got 0/2 processors running :)

tv

 
 
 

1. Squid Setting IP Forward (Top Top Top Urgent)

Why are you using 168.1.1.x for your network addresses? This is a
network that's allocated to Credit Suisse - which is in Switzerland.

Squid is configured to forward your real (internal) IP address. ISA
isn't.

The quick fix is to change squid not to forward your internal IP
address. The correct fix is to use a private network address as defined

in RFC 1918. Typically this is one starting 192.168.x.x.

I'm understand the problems, but i can't change the network design now.

So, How To do that (quick fix to change squid not forward my internal
ip address) ?? Is it add a iptables or config some etc .....

Please Please Please Please help me

Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many THANKS

2. Linux 2.4.8-ac12

3. solaris zones on top of vlans (801.1q) on top of sun trunking?

4. HELP!!! Adaptec 1520B Question

5. Top topped

6. xterm as root can't run

7. Using TOP (monitoring top processes)

8. AMI GOLIATH on SCO - Server

9. top or top-like program for SVR4?

10. Windows opening with their tops off the top of the screen.

11. Kernel (wait) at the top of "top"

12. diald-top v1.0 on sunsite -- top-like listing of network packets

13. OT: TOPS-20 and TOPS-10 live on