Online/Offline DNS Problems.

Post by Loma » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have a win box networked to a unix box (freebsd 3.2) via a crossover
cable.  If I connect my win box to the Internet, I am able to also telnet
from my win box to my unix box no problem.  If my win box is not connected
to the Internet it takes about 2 full minutes to make the telnet connection
from the win box to the unix box.

It appears that the unix box is using my ISPs DNS server, which is what I
want it to do so it can access the Internet from behind the win box.  But
when I'm not connected to the Internet it takes ages looking for my ISPs DNS
server (which is of course un reachable), before allowing connections from
my win box..

How can I fix the above problem?  I want to be able to access the Internet
from my unix box, yet when offline I want to be able to connect from my win
box to my unix box.  I can place my win box IP in the unix box "hosts" file
to fix the problem but this is really a kludge - I dont want to have to make
an entry for every machine I connect to my LAN.

When I first set up the system everything was fine (ie. I did not have the
above problem), but alas somewhere along the line something must have become
configured incorrectly in the unix box.

Any info will be appreciated.

Regards,

Lomax

Post by Dave St.Germai » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I have a win box networked to a unix box (freebsd 3.2) via a crossover
> cable.  If I connect my win box to the Internet, I am able to also telnet
> from my win box to my unix box no problem.  If my win box is not connected
> to the Internet it takes about 2 full minutes to make the telnet connection
> from the win box to the unix box.

> It appears that the unix box is using my ISPs DNS server, which is what I
> want it to do so it can access the Internet from behind the win box.  But
> when I'm not connected to the Internet it takes ages looking for my ISPs DNS
> server (which is of course un reachable), before allowing connections from
> my win box..

Are you saying that the FreeBSD box is the gateway for the Windows box,
or the other way around?  Is the Unix box in the host file on the
Windows machine?  Do you have named running on the FreeBSD machine?

Quote:> How can I fix the above problem?  I want to be able to access the Internet
> from my unix box, yet when offline I want to be able to connect from my win
> box to my unix box.  I can place my win box IP in the unix box "hosts" file
> to fix the problem but this is really a kludge - I dont want to have to make
> an entry for every machine I connect to my LAN.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal.  You already said the two machines are
connected by a crossover cable, so you can only HAVE 2 boxes in your
LAN.  If it fixes the problem, then by all means, go for it.  You could
also have named running on the FreeBSD machine, but if you think editing
the hosts file is a kludge, then DNS is probably out of the question.

                        Dave

Online/Offline DNS Problems.

Post by r j huntingt » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

The easiest way would be to add the machines on the lan to the hosts
file on the bsd box (how many could it be?). But, a better all-around
solution would be to make the bsd box your nameserver and maintain a
zone file for the lan and do your own lookups.  -=rjh=-
Quote:>I have a win box networked to a unix box (freebsd 3.2) via a crossover
>cable.  If I connect my win box to the Internet, I am able to also telnet
>from my win box to my unix box no problem.  If my win box is not connected
>to the Internet it takes about 2 full minutes to make the telnet connection
>from the win box to the unix box.

>It appears that the unix box is using my ISPs DNS server, which is what I
>want it to do so it can access the Internet from behind the win box.  But
>when I'm not connected to the Internet it takes ages looking for my ISPs DNS
>server (which is of course un reachable), before allowing connections from
>my win box..

1. DNS online/offline problem.

Do you know of a NAMED daemon implementation
with online/offline capability?

Problem:
----------

Some service forces me to run my own dns service
for my small home network with two computers because
it uses dns as an authority for hostnames.

Therefore I had to configure my own named wich is
authoritive for the domain  .in-house  and  network
192.168.*.*.  In addition it caches one
(the most used) domain as a secondary server
and asks other nameservers for other domains
as a forwarder.

The nameserver is restarted whenever I switch the
network online. It looses all the cached information
from the last online session for other domains.

I have to restart the named because there is no way
to inform it about the opportunity to update it's
cached domain information. named itself will retry
to refresh its cache every X hours, which will
only by accident happen to be the same time as one
of my online sessions.

So, the cache is never refreshed if I don't
restart named.

But, if named is restarted for each online
session it retransfers the same zone over and over
again even if it didn't change because it lost
it's cache.

This happens whenever I answer my email or
fetch news.
[short online session - get/put mail, news.. ]
read and reply mail, mark news for download.
[short online session - get/put mail, news.. ]
..

How did you solve this ?

Thanks ,

Volker
--
Volker Apelt          Group of Prof. Dr. Ch. Griesinger
                      Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet

2. Prob. with pcmcia-- "cs: warning: no high memory space available!"

3. USB printer claimed to be offline after reboot, but it's online

4. CDE replaced with Java after home replacement

5. online and offline monitoring tool called TSMS

6. Problem installing Linux

7. Making OFFLINE printer ONLINE???

8. Kernel Panic installing YDL 2.3 on Performa 6400

9. online = $$$ ; offline = $$$$ TOO

10. Spamassassin behaviour offline/online mode (bug??)

11. online and offline monitoring tool called TSMS

12. GUI Newsreaders-Offline/Online in Linux

13. kmodem showing online and offline status