3.4 is not as stable as 3.3

Post by Erik Cho » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
  Is it my imagination or is it really that 3.3 is more stable than 3.4?  My
problems have mostly been with sysinstall.  For example, I tried to put the
src files onto my HD, but sysinstall hang for no reason.  I tried to kill it
with just kill <PID>, but it wound't exit.  So my next logical move would be
kill -9 <PID>.  Guess what, that wouldn't kill it either.  So I had to
reboot my machine, well, of course with the reboot cmd, NOT like some OS
that you need to press the button.  With 3.3, I didn't have any problems...
Well....

3.4 is not as stable as 3.3

Post by jhal.. » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,
>   Is it my imagination or is it really that 3.3 is more stable than 3.4?  My
> problems have mostly been with sysinstall.

I've had some similar problems with sysinstall. I've also seen a few
articles that others have posted about it as well. I don't know if
that counts as one release being more stable than another. I'd guess
it's just that sysinstall has a problem in 3.4.

Joe

3.4 is not as stable as 3.3

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>   Is it my imagination or is it really that 3.3 is more stable than
> 3.4?  My problems have mostly been with sysinstall.

3.4 sysinstall is known to have a bug (or two :), see the file
errata.txt on the WWW server.  This could cause to a SIGSEGV even
during installation (and updated boot floppies are available to fix
this), so i wouldn't be too surprised if that bug didn't affect other
situations.

--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL

3.4 is not as stable as 3.3

Post by Stephen E. Halp » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>>   Is it my imagination or is it really that 3.3 is more stable than
>> 3.4?  My problems have mostly been with sysinstall.

>3.4 sysinstall is known to have a bug (or two :), see the file
>errata.txt on the WWW server.  This could cause to a SIGSEGV even
>during installation (and updated boot floppies are available to fix
>this), so i wouldn't be too surprised if that bug didn't affect other
>situations.

To argue the other side, the 3.4 installer fixed a number of
cosmetic issues, and when one installs on something other
than disk 0 (as would happen when you have narrow devices
like Zip drives on SCSI channel 0 and bootable wide devices
on SCSI channel 1) it adds the appropriate "root_disk_unit"
definition to the /boot/loader.conf file.  The broader 3.4
system seems every bit as stable (shall I say rock solid?)
as 3.3, while adding some new security features.  Knowing
that the installer does have a few issues, I would still
strongly recommend 3.4 to folks who want to use FreeBSD.

>--
>cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL

>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

-Steve

3.4 is not as stable as 3.3

Post by vector-sigm » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

So is there an updated and revised version of sysinstall (either binary or
source code) available? Please give me some help here bacause I just spent
$50 on 3.4 FreeBSD and I am about to install it once I figure out what the
hell I am doing.

Thanks in advance

3.4 is not as stable as 3.3

Post by J Wuns » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> So is there an updated and revised version of sysinstall (either binary or
> source code) available?

Source code?  Of course.  Use CVSup or whatever your choice is, and
get the lates sysinstall sources from the 3-stable branch.

--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL

1. Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

Can someone help me upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE?  I tried
getting the sources for RELENG_4, but then when I tried make
buildworld I got all sorts of compilation errors.

Then I saw a note that said I had to go to 4.1 first.  So I set
RELENG_4_1, but for that target I get no sources at all! (my /usr/src
is now empty)

I don't need help on how to build, I plan on following the UPDATING
instructions, but I am confused about what set of targets I should aim
for and in what order.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

2. Linux PSX software?

3. 3.2-STABLE to 3.4-STABLE device name change

4. XESS Spreadsheet Updated with Enhanced Excel File Support

5. updating Kernel 3.3 to 3.4

6. Problem with chmod

7. Anybody upgraded SP System from AIX4.3.3 and PSSP 3.2 to AIX5.1 and PSSP 3.4??

8. DOS, Win98, NT4.0 and Linux

9. Slackware 3.3, Slackware 3.4, SC875, n_53c8xx.s bootdisk

10. Upgrade Slackware 3.3 to 3.4

11. 3.3/3.4 installation hangs after root fs mounted on MFS

12. Slackware 3.4 == 3.3!

13. SMP freeces up after 6-14 days (3.3/3.4)