getty and terminals

Post by ABB » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:39:46

Is it possible to shut down the multiple terminals?
I run a ps -ax on my system and there are 8 getty processes open.
Is there a way to shut down a few of them or all?

On second thot, wouldn't shutting all of them down disallow you from
viewing anything on that machine?

ABB

getty and terminals

Post by Nathan Kinkad » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:20:18

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 00:39:46 GMT

> Is it possible to shut down the multiple terminals?
> I run a ps -ax on my system and there are 8 getty processes open.
> Is there a way to shut down a few of them or all?

> On second thot, wouldn't shutting all of them down disallow you from
> viewing anything on that machine?

Edit file /etc/ttys and mark the unwanted gettys from "on" to "off",
then `kill -HUP 1`, or `killall -HUP init`.  This will cause init to
reread the ttys file and should remove the unwanted getty processes, but
you better keep at least one so that the machine can boot to multiuser
mode.

Nathan