I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by George Green » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:43:05



i need to use NFS can afford PC/NFS.
any ideas?

Thanks

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Shannon Johnso » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:07:59



> i need to use NFS can afford PC/NFS.
> any ideas?

Hello,

Login as root and run /stand/sysinstall. Once this is up, then go to fdisk
and find out what device your NT slice is using (e.g. mine is /dev/ad0s2).
Once you figure this out then exit out and add the following line to your
fstab:

/dev/ad0s2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro 0 0

Replace the /dev/ad0s2 entry with the appropriate device for your system.
Then reboot.

Shannon
---
Website:  http://www.designcurve.net


 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Jed Clea » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:43:29


To do this you need to do "mkdir -p /mnt/windows" before rebooting.


> > i need to use NFS can afford PC/NFS.
> > any ideas?

> Hello,

> Login as root and run /stand/sysinstall. Once this is up, then go to fdisk
> and find out what device your NT slice is using (e.g. mine is /dev/ad0s2).
> Once you figure this out then exit out and add the following line to your
> fstab:

> /dev/ad0s2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro 0 0

> Replace the /dev/ad0s2 entry with the appropriate device for your system.
> Then reboot.

> Shannon
> ---
> Website:  http://www.designcurve.net


 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Shannon Johnso » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:05:35



Quote:> To do this you need to do "mkdir -p /mnt/windows" before rebooting.

Opps, I forgot to add that part! Thanks Jed

Shannon

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Jed Clea » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 05:18:34


At least I can be helpful with generic Unix and networking stuff while I
try to back port my Solaris knowledge to FreeBSD.  The worst is the
options for ps. :-P

Of course I just forgot to do that very same thing on my box early this
morning, except it was /dos/c.




> > To do this you need to do "mkdir -p /mnt/windows" before rebooting.

> Opps, I forgot to add that part! Thanks Jed

> Shannon

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by George Green » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:06:32


i'm sorry.  i don't know a lot about unix.  The solution you guys gave me is
for a machine that has both OS's on its drives, right?

I didn't ask the question correctly.  I have a unix box (openbsd), and a
windows Nt box. (box = computer)
I would like to share files between those two boxes.  I can't use samba.  I
can't afford pc/nfs.
I have both machine connected to a switch.  I have need to mount the drives
of the windows box on
the unix machine.  The address for the pc is 192.168.1.100.  The address for
the openbsd box is
192.168.1.101.

I hope I have explained this right.

Thanks,

g.

> At least I can be helpful with generic Unix and networking stuff while I
> try to back port my Solaris knowledge to FreeBSD.  The worst is the
> options for ps. :-P

> Of course I just forgot to do that very same thing on my box early this
> morning, except it was /dos/c.




> > > To do this you need to do "mkdir -p /mnt/windows" before rebooting.

> > Opps, I forgot to add that part! Thanks Jed

> > Shannon

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Devon Rya » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:52:57



> i'm sorry.  i don't know a lot about unix.  The solution you guys gave me is
> for a machine that has both OS's on its drives, right?

> I didn't ask the question correctly.  I have a unix box (openbsd), and a
> windows Nt box. (box = computer)
> I would like to share files between those two boxes.  I can't use samba.  I
> can't afford pc/nfs.
> I have both machine connected to a switch.  I have need to mount the drives
> of the windows box on
> the unix machine.  The address for the pc is 192.168.1.100.  The address for
> the openbsd box is
> 192.168.1.101.

Ah, that changes thingsa bit then.  I'm surprised NT doesn't come
withthe ability to become an NFS server out of the box. Kindof makes it
a crappy server operating system. There are a few other options I've
heard of that might work for you.  The first is to use Samba.  You
indicated that you can't do this...which leads to the question of why
not.   You might look into afs or webdav (note that I've never used
either and don't really know much about them...but you can probably use
them to hack something together).  You're only other option will
probably be to write your own client/server application to do this
(unless you can use ftp or sftp of course).

What exactly is your situation?  More information about your exact needs
could help in finding other options.

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan


 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:11:06




Quote:>To do this you need to do "mkdir -p /mnt/windows" before rebooting.

Just watch out that other programs don't use the /mnt or they could
mount on top of that directory and make it invisible.  My own
personal preference is for /mnt to be only temporary and things
that are going to be there often are given their own directory name
so there will be no conflicts.
 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Shannon Johnso » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:23:43



> Just watch out that other programs don't use the /mnt or they could
> mount on top of that directory and make it invisible.  My own
> personal preference is for /mnt to be only temporary and things
> that are going to be there often are given their own directory name
> so there will be no conflicts.

Typically, each mount point has it's own directory in the root of /mnt. This
is what I instructed to use /mnt/windows.

Shannon

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Jed Clea » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:58:22


I think the only thing _typical_ about mounting is that / has the root
mounted on it.  And it wouldn't surprise me if someone had a counter
example.  Even /usr isn't sacred as some like one huge root partition
and /usr is "just another directory".  So everything but mounting / is
personal preference.  

In spite of my earlier addendum to your original /mnt/windows post, I
agree with Bill in that I only use /mnt for temporary stuff.  Personally
I use /dos/[c-f] to mount my FAT partitions.  

From hier(7):
/mnt/    empty directory commonly used by system administrators as a
tem-
         porary mount point

Nothing wrong with your solution, I just question calling it typical.
They're your filesystems and you can mount them where you chose . . . as
long as you use the One True Editor to make your changes to /etc/fstab.
;-)

-Jed



> > Just watch out that other programs don't use the /mnt or they could
> > mount on top of that directory and make it invisible.  My own
> > personal preference is for /mnt to be only temporary and things
> > that are going to be there often are given their own directory name
> > so there will be no conflicts.

> Typically, each mount point has it's own directory in the root of /mnt. This
> is what I instructed to use /mnt/windows.

> Shannon

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:24:18





>> Just watch out that other programs don't use the /mnt or they could
>> mount on top of that directory and make it invisible.  My own
>> personal preference is for /mnt to be only temporary and things
>> that are going to be there often are given their own directory name
>> so there will be no conflicts.
>Typically, each mount point has it's own directory in the root of /mnt. This
>is what I instructed to use /mnt/windows.

But I have seen some that just want to go on top of /mnt.  That's
why I mentioned.  If only all programmers adhered to the same rules
life would be much simpler.
 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by aykat s » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:15:13



> i'm sorry.  i don't know a lot about unix.  The solution you guys gave me is
> for a machine that has both OS's on its drives, right?

> I didn't ask the question correctly.  I have a unix box (openbsd), and a
> windows Nt box. (box = computer)
> I would like to share files between those two boxes.  I can't use samba.  I
> can't afford pc/nfs.
> I have both machine connected to a switch.  I have need to mount the drives
> of the windows box on
> the unix machine.  The address for the pc is 192.168.1.100.  The address for
> the openbsd box is
> 192.168.1.101.

> I hope I have explained this right.

> Thanks,

> g.

Try Sharity light. It is free and easy to setup.

- Show quoted text -



> > At least I can be helpful with generic Unix and networking stuff while I
> > try to back port my Solaris knowledge to FreeBSD.  The worst is the
> > options for ps. :-P

> > Of course I just forgot to do that very same thing on my box early this
> > morning, except it was /dos/c.




> > > > To do this you need to do "mkdir -p /mnt/windows" before rebooting.

> > > Opps, I forgot to add that part! Thanks Jed

> > > Shannon

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 05:31:45


On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:58:22 -0500


> I think the only thing _typical_ about mounting is that / has the root
> mounted on it.  And it wouldn't surprise me if someone had a counter
> example.  Even /usr isn't sacred as some like one huge root partition

        Nearly :) I have known a system for which there was a level below
the root at / - it contained the machines in the network and you could
ls /../anotherbox/usr/home/me for example. The transport was UUCP so it
wasn't quick :)

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
You lose and Bill collects.                     |  licenses available - see:
                                                |   http://www.sohara.org/

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Jed Clea » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:55:27



> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:58:22 -0500

> > I think the only thing _typical_ about mounting is that / has the root
> > mounted on it.  And it wouldn't surprise me if someone had a counter
> > example.  Even /usr isn't sacred as some like one huge root partition

>         Nearly :) I have known a system for which there was a level below
> the root at / - it contained the machines in the network and you could
> ls /../anotherbox/usr/home/me for example. The transport was UUCP so it
> wasn't quick :)

That makes me think of HP-UX 9.x but it's been a long time.

Solaris has an automounter table keyword that will mount anything NFS
exported on the network by any host in the local namespace, I forget
what the keyword is at the moment.

 
 
 

I need to mount WinNT directories on my bsd box can not use samba

Post by Shannon Johnso » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:03:35


When I refered to "/mnt" as "typical," I believe that it was due to the fact
that Linux distros seem to default to this location. When I installed
Mandrake (before I was enlightened to FreeBSD), this was the "typical"
location for this distro.

Most of my mount points are typically off of the root. However, I seldom use
the Win NT slice, so this place seemed to be natural.

Now, can we please let this die, I do not believe that it is ultimately
helping George out any.

Shannon

 
 
 

1. Access WinNT files from Linux using UNC names (not mounts)

I have Samba up and running between my Linux and NT machines.  I am
working on a client/server program that requires that the Linux
machine update itself with files from NT.  The file locations may
change from time to time, therefore, the NT program sends to the Linux
program (via TCP/IP) the location of the files using UNC format (e.g.
//computername/share/dir).

I am able to access the NT share using smbmount and a mount location
without any problem, but since the share location may not be known
ahead of time, I would like to access the files using the passed UNC
name.

Access using format file:/192.168.1.28/share/dir/file would be okay
also.  Any method of accessing files other than having to do a
smbmount first.

Any ideas?  Thanks!!!

Ron Langham

2. 3c905 driver for Linux?

3. Mount WinNT services to BSD

4. do ... until user presses key

5. How to allow Create Directory but not Delete Directory in Samba?

6. SWAP space and Sybase on Salaris

7. Samba: connecting (mounting) to WinNT drives?

8. PCMCIA problem! :(

9. Win98 can not see Linux DHCP/Samba Server (WinNT/2000 can)

10. rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted ( WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris)

11. Digital Unix Machine runing samba using Backup Exec 8.5 on WinNT

12. Question: using BSD code on a Solaris box?

13. It's not bad canned meat...