FreeBSD boot loader and SCSI

Post by Andy » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm having no successes in install FreeBSD on my new system.  I have two
9.1 GB USCSI drives attached to a Buslogic BT958 controller.  These are
the only two hard drives in the system, IDE is turned off.  SCSI ID 1 (the
first drive) is dedicated to Win98 with a 50 MB FAT16 partition as C: and
8.9 GB as FAT32 D:.  I installed FreeBSD 3.0 onto SCSI ID 2 (the 2nd
drive) and just took all of the automatic defaults.  Regardless of where I
put the boot manager, I can't get BSD to boot.  I've tried installing
System Commander 3.02 which sees the BSD partition, but can't boot it.
I've tried OSBS, and using Bootinst.exe boot.bin, which give me the choice
of BSD or Dos, but can't boot BSD.  The Dos partition works fine with any
of the three boot managers.  I've tried booting off of the floppy, and
typing 1:da(0,a)boot which does nothing.
        I've scoured the FreeBSD usenet archive, dejanews, and pretty much
every link off of a "boot manager + freebsd" search on Google.
        Does anyone have any hints? tia.

|  Andy   |     e-mail      |      web       |     finger        |

Bumper sticker:

"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. HELP: Thread seems to be not working ??

3. Booting Win2000 with FreeBSD's boot loader

4. PCI cards on the Sun Ultra 5 system

5. Boot sector virus warning with FreeBSD boot loader

6. 2 ne2000 cards, nightmares, HELP!

7. Booting FreeBSD 4.x using Win2000 boot loader

8. Compiling error : ar

9. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please

10. FreeBSD boot loader question

11. Config freebsd boot loader?

12. Booting FreeBSD via NT Loader

13. Removal of FreeBSD Boot loader for MBR