How to (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t) in syscons?

How to (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t) in syscons?

Post by Martin K?hle » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 02:51:07

Hi all,

after 5 years using Linux I now decided to set up a FreeBSD-System ...
I already configured a lot of stuff, but there's one thing that won't get
fixed ...

How can I learn syscons to use my delete-key to delete forward?
Like in xemacs: (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)
Currently it does exactly the same as backspace and deletes backward.

I played around with stty, tset and other stuff and found out that
kbdcontrol could be the solution (61 is the key # of my delete key) ...
$ kbdcontrol -f 61 ...
But I don't know which escape sequence kbdcontrol needs to do the desired
thing.

Tx,
        -- Martin

--
$ echo > /dev/null -e "Info about GPG:\n\
Martin Koehler\t[GPG KeyID = 464CBFB7]\n\

How to (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t) in syscons?

Post by Per Hedela » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:14:18

writes:

Quote:

>after 5 years using Linux I now decided to set up a FreeBSD-System ...
>I already configured a lot of stuff, but there's one thing that won't get
>fixed ...

>How can I learn syscons to use my delete-key to delete forward?
>Like in xemacs: (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)
>Currently it does exactly the same as backspace and deletes backward.

There's no such thing as "delete forward" at that level (nor is there in
Linux, I'm sure) - the "editing" operations are those provided by the
tty driver, the sum total of which is "delete character/word/line
backwards" (OK, maybe redraw-line may be counted as "editing" too).

More sophisticated line editing (if any) is provided by your shell (as
in Linux), but since you didn't say which shell you're using it's not
possible to give advice about that... - try its man page.

--Per Hedeland

1. How to make Delete key delete forward?

I've read through every FAQ I can find, every man page that seems like it
might be applicable, and tried everything I can think of based on my Linux
experience, but I still can't find a way to make the 'Delete' key on my
Ultra 5 delete forward instead of duplicating the effects of 'Backspace' and
'Ctrl-h'. I'm beginning to wonder if this is even possible, though surely it
must be? Perhaps I'm blind or very dense and the answer is staring me right
in the face and I'm failing to recognize it, but could somebody please offer
a specific suggestion? (i.e. not something like "use xmodmap" -- I've tried
that with numerous variations in arguments -- but xmodmap with the specific
keycodes and/or keysyms that are needed)

This is the last remaining annoyance with my Sun keyboard, and I'd really
like to lay it to rest since I normally use 'delete-forward' frequently when
editing a command line.

Thanks in advance!

Larry

2. why the heck do we need swap?

3. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

4. source of write

5. getting Delete key to DELETE on RS6000

6. Wlan setup - newbie :-)

7. how can my delete key delete?

8. Is there an Motif compatible library?

9. How Do I Get Delete Key to delete?

10. delete key = delete-next-char?

11. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

12. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

13. backspace key is behaving like a delete key