Question re: tun0 and modems

Post by Matthew A. Gessne » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Every now and then, ppp will toss its cookies and completely hang.
I can't give exact descriptions on what happens, simply because I have
NFI what I could be doing abnormal that would cause it to go nuts (but I
do have suspicions that my ISP is the problem).

Anyway, when I go to restart ppp, it tells me it can't find the tun0
device, and/or the modem is busy.

How can I get around either of these problems?  Can I close an open file
somehow?

TIA
--

Aristar, Inc.
302 N. Cleveland-Massillon Rd.

Question re: tun0 and modems

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Every now and then, ppp will toss its cookies and completely hang.
> I can't give exact descriptions on what happens, simply because I have
> NFI what I could be doing abnormal that would cause it to go nuts (but I
> do have suspicions that my ISP is the problem).

> Anyway, when I go to restart ppp, it tells me it can't find the tun0
> device, and/or the modem is busy.

> How can I get around either of these problems?  Can I close an open file
> somehow?

> TIA

Hmmm. Is PPP still in the active procs list (ps ax)? If so, you'll need
to kill it before you can restart. Otherwise, even if you can start a
new instance, the old one still has control of tun0 and the modem.
--
Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com