Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Jon Burgoy » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Help installing FreeBSD...
Have filed the following bug report but with no response.  Thought maybe
someone on the net has run into this problem.

Environment

    Alaris Motherboard with 28MB RAM and 486/100 IBM Blue Lightning CPU
    EFAR chipset OPTi 82C822 host to PCI bridge, 1 internal IDE controller,
    1 harddrive, no other cards in system

Description

    bootstrap loader works fine. Get visual install mode, take out only
    those things providing CONF (Or take out everything I don't have, either
    way).  'Q' to save/boot.  Machine starts to boot, finds devices.  Just
    after npx0 at 0xf0-0xff irq 13 on motherboard it faults with:
    Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
    fault virtual address = 0xca57
    fault code = supervisor read, page not present
    instruction pointer = 0x8:0xca57
    stack pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee58
    frame pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee74
    code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
     = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
    processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
    current process = 0 ()
    interrupt mask = net tty bio cam
    trap number = 12
    panic: page fault
    Automatic reboot in 15 seconds ...

How-To-Repeat

    ANY combination of the visual kernel config during install seems to
    cause this.

Fix

    Could NOT find a fix.  Have switched keyboards/harddrives/mem config/
    taken everything out of the machine except video card (and even tried
    different video cards), STILL cannot get freebsd to load

Please Help...

jon

 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Qaairl Euq » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00



> Help installing FreeBSD...
> Have filed the following bug report but with no response.  Thought maybe
> someone on the net has run into this problem.

> Environment

>     Alaris Motherboard with 28MB RAM and 486/100 IBM Blue Lightning CPU
>     EFAR chipset OPTi 82C822 host to PCI bridge, 1 internal IDE controller,
>     1 harddrive, no other cards in system

> Description

>     bootstrap loader works fine. Get visual install mode, take out only
>     those things providing CONF (Or take out everything I don't have, either
>     way).  'Q' to save/boot.  Machine starts to boot, finds devices.  Just
>     after npx0 at 0xf0-0xff irq 13 on motherboard it faults with:
>     Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>     fault virtual address = 0xca57
>     fault code = supervisor read, page not present
>     instruction pointer = 0x8:0xca57
>     stack pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee58
>     frame pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee74
>     code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>     processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>     current process = 0 ()
>     interrupt mask = net tty bio cam
>     trap number = 12
>     panic: page fault
>     Automatic reboot in 15 seconds ...

> How-To-Repeat

>     ANY combination of the visual kernel config during install seems to
>     cause this.

> Fix

>     Could NOT find a fix.  Have switched keyboards/harddrives/mem config/
>     taken everything out of the machine except video card (and even tried
>     different video cards), STILL cannot get freebsd to load

> Please Help...

> jon

Those Blue Lighting CPUs by IBM are a little strange.  Int 13 is the FPU
fault interrupt.  Try disabling the FPU and see if the error goes away.

--
DR

 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Alan Core » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00


You aren't trying to install 3.4-RELEASE with the broken install floppy
are you?  See the ERRATA for that version if so.  The floppy image
contained in the ISO file, and maybe shipped on the CD, is bad.

  Alan Corey


> Help installing FreeBSD...
> Have filed the following bug report but with no response.  Thought maybe
> someone on the net has run into this problem.

> Environment

>     Alaris Motherboard with 28MB RAM and 486/100 IBM Blue Lightning CPU
>     EFAR chipset OPTi 82C822 host to PCI bridge, 1 internal IDE controller,
>     1 harddrive, no other cards in system

> Description

>     bootstrap loader works fine. Get visual install mode, take out only
>     those things providing CONF (Or take out everything I don't have, either
>     way).  'Q' to save/boot.  Machine starts to boot, finds devices.  Just
>     after npx0 at 0xf0-0xff irq 13 on motherboard it faults with:
>     Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>     fault virtual address = 0xca57
>     fault code = supervisor read, page not present
>     instruction pointer = 0x8:0xca57
>     stack pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee58
>     frame pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee74
>     code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>     processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>     current process = 0 ()
>     interrupt mask = net tty bio cam
>     trap number = 12
>     panic: page fault
>     Automatic reboot in 15 seconds ...

> How-To-Repeat

>     ANY combination of the visual kernel config during install seems to
>     cause this.

> Fix

>     Could NOT find a fix.  Have switched keyboards/harddrives/mem config/
>     taken everything out of the machine except video card (and even tried
>     different video cards), STILL cannot get freebsd to load

> Please Help...

> jon

----------------------------------------------------------------------
              It's time to FDISK Microsoft and reformat.
 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by J Wuns » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00



>     Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>     fault virtual address = 0xca57
>     fault code = supervisor read, page not present
>     instruction pointer = 0x8:0xca57

Very strange %eip address.  I don't think i could help you just from
looking at that address, too bad.  Something must have gone totally
wrong, since this address is way outside the normal address range for
executable kernel code, so either an indirect function call has been
executed with a garbage %eax pointer, or (this looks more likely to
me), the CPU has been reading total garbage from your RAM and/or cache
somehow.  You could try tweaking the BIOS to get the memory timing
slower, and/or disable the cache(s).

Of course, nobody can guarantee it's not an O/S bug, so you could as
well try booting the 4.0 boot floppies, and see whether they
experience similar problems.

If you try it again, will the page fault happen at the same fault
address / fault %eip?  If so, it's more likely a bug.  If it's always
on a different address, it's more likely a hardware fault.
--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL


Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Mikhail Kru » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00


this may be caused by a bad memory. I am not sure what you meant by saying that
you've tried different memory configs, but I'd try to test it with some other

>     bootstrap loader works fine. Get visual install mode, take out only
>     those things providing CONF (Or take out everything I don't have, either
>     way).  'Q' to save/boot.  Machine starts to boot, finds devices.  Just
>     after npx0 at 0xf0-0xff irq 13 on motherboard it faults with:
>     Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>     fault virtual address = 0xca57
>     fault code = supervisor read, page not present
>     instruction pointer = 0x8:0xca57
>     stack pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee58
>     frame pointer = 0x10:0xc060ee74
>     code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>     processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>     current process = 0 ()
>     interrupt mask = net tty bio cam
>     trap number = 12
>     panic: page fault
>     Automatic reboot in 15 seconds ...

 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by BSD Bo » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00



> Those Blue Lighting CPUs by IBM are a little strange.  Int 13 is the FPU
> fault interrupt.  Try disabling the FPU and see if the error goes away.

Does this kind of thing happen on other 486 machines?  I have a couple
of older legacy machines (466DX66 PS/Valuepoint and a Bull 486/33 eisa
box) that only run up to FreeBSD 2.2.8.  After that, they all go bellyup.
I would like to roll -current on them, if I could find a way to get
past the 2.2.8-RELEASE.  What might have changed after that that
would prevent running on some machines?

Bob

 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Bovine Unit #24 » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Quote:> > Those Blue Lighting CPUs by IBM are a little strange.  Int 13 is the FPU
> > fault interrupt.  Try disabling the FPU and see if the error goes away.
> Does this kind of thing happen on other 486 machines?  I have a couple
> of older legacy machines (466DX66 PS/Valuepoint and a Bull 486/33 eisa
> box) that only run up to FreeBSD 2.2.8.  After that, they all go bellyup.
> I would like to roll -current on them, if I could find a way to get
> past the 2.2.8-RELEASE.  What might have changed after that that
> would prevent running on some machines?

I've just installed 3.4-R on a no-name, odd-ball 486 system. The CPU is
labeled TI-486, and I'm quite certain the motherboard is actually made for
386SX (16-bit bus) and the said CPU is an "enhanced 386." Not only
3.4R installed without any trouble, but I've compiled custom kernel with
486CPU for the CPU option and it's running happily. I didn't take any
fancy tricks to install 3.4-R on it.
 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Random Lie » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00




>> Those Blue Lighting CPUs by IBM are a little strange.  Int 13 is the FPU
>> fault interrupt.  Try disabling the FPU and see if the error goes away.

>Does this kind of thing happen on other 486 machines?  I have a couple
>of older legacy machines (466DX66 PS/Valuepoint and a Bull 486/33 eisa

Hi.
I had problems installing FreeBSD 3.x on my 486 (can't remmember wether it
was my valuepoint or not, sorry). How ever, wensday I managed to
successfully get FreeBSD 4.0 running on my ibm valuepoint (486-dx/2, 66, 16m
ram w/ 6.x gig hd). The only problem I had was that fdisk couldn't change the
type of partitions for my old linux partitions (wich, of course, has nothing
to do w/ the cpu :))
Hope this helps.

Quote:>box) that only run up to FreeBSD 2.2.8.  After that, they all go bellyup.
>I would like to roll -current on them, if I could find a way to get
>past the 2.2.8-RELEASE.  What might have changed after that that
>would prevent running on some machines?

>Bob

--
/*****************************************************
robot minds of robot slaves, lead them to atomic graves
plastic flowers melt in sun, fading moon falls upon
dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration
....
ELECTRIC FUNERAL! ELECTRIC FUNERAL!
******************************************************/
 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Russell Tie » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>>Does this kind of thing happen on other 486 machines?  I have a couple
>>of older legacy machines (466DX66 PS/Valuepoint and a Bull 486/33 eisa

>Hi.
>I had problems installing FreeBSD 3.x on my 486 (can't remmember wether it
>was my valuepoint or not, sorry). How ever, wensday I managed to
>successfully get FreeBSD 4.0 running on my ibm valuepoint (486-dx/2, 66, 16m
>ram w/ 6.x gig hd). The only problem I had was that fdisk couldn't change the
>type of partitions for my old linux partitions (wich, of course, has nothing
>to do w/ the cpu :))
>Hope this helps.

Okay, so from what you are saying there is hope for my IBM PS/1 486DX2
66  with 16 MEG RAM, I must just get a HDD for it.

Russell

 
 
 

Help.. Can't install on 486/100

Post by Random Lie » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00





>>>Does this kind of thing happen on other 486 machines?  I have a couple
>>>of older legacy machines (466DX66 PS/Valuepoint and a Bull 486/33 eisa

>>Hi.
>>I had problems installing FreeBSD 3.x on my 486 (can't remmember wether it
>>was my valuepoint or not, sorry). How ever, wensday I managed to
>>successfully get FreeBSD 4.0 running on my ibm valuepoint (486-dx/2, 66, 16m
>>ram w/ 6.x gig hd). The only problem I had was that fdisk couldn't change the
>>type of partitions for my old linux partitions (wich, of course, has nothing
>>to do w/ the cpu :))
>>Hope this helps.

>Okay, so from what you are saying there is hope for my IBM PS/1 486DX2
>66  with 16 MEG RAM, I must just get a HDD for it.

Yes, exactly. Of course, you have to watch out for the 1024 cylinder prob
(wich I'm sure you're aware of); in my Valuepoint, the bios gives garbage
when I look at what is installed (when I look in the bios program, I mean.)
but Linux, NT, and even DOS seem to see my 6g just fine....
I only bring this up 'cos I'm assuming that you're going out to *buy* a new
hdd for it...if you are getting a used one that is 512M or under...never mind.

Quote:

>Russell

--
/*****************************************************
robot minds of robot slaves, lead them to atomic graves
plastic flowers melt in sun, fading moon falls upon
dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration
....
ELECTRIC FUNERAL! ELECTRIC FUNERAL!
******************************************************/
 
 
 

1. Performance Increase: 486/DX2 66 to 486/DX4 100

I'd like to know what kind of a performance increase I can
expect by swapping my 486/DX2 66 for an AMD 486/DX4 100, and by getting a
motherboard (VLB) with 256K cache (my current board has no external
cache).

        Also, how much of an increase would I get over the above by
putting in a 486/DX5 120?  And how much more would it cost me?

2. Windows Emulator for Alpha?

3. Install hangs immediately on HP Vectra 486/100

4. format hard drive on 943P

5. HP Vectra VL2 486/100 Kernel Panic (Help?)

6. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 4 of 6)

7. 486 ADM 4-100 Password problem

8. loading freeBSD

9. 100 Mb thernet PCI on a 486 DX2 66MHz?

10. Pentium 90 running slower than 486/100?

11. Linux hates AMD DX4-100 & ASUS PVI-486 SP3?

12. 486 DX 100 sufficient for reasonable work with FreeBSD?

13. Q: 486/100 = 5.86 BogoMips ?