Trouble with CC compiler when recompiling kernel

1. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

I have two linux machines: one is an IDE system and the other is SCSI.

On the IDE machine, I have just upgraded from Kernel 1.2.11 to 1.2.13.
I got a new kernel source and renamed the old kernel directory tree to
something like linux.old. then I went through the entire proceedure:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

after the compile I did :

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
rdev -R zImage 1
rdev -v zImage -1
rdev zImage /dev/hda2
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

Everything *seemed* to work fine. BUT when I tried to boot off of the
hard disk and not the floppy, it clearly came up with Kernel 1.2.11,
which was the old one. When I booted from the floppy, it came up with
kernel 1.2.13, which was the new one .

There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

Also, with my SCSI machine, I have loaded linux for the first time. I
went through the whole proceedure and recompiled the kernel just as
above, with my other machine.

The problem is that when I boot up the system goes into AUTOPROBE. It
taked about 7 minutes for this to complete before the system fully
boots. I went through the recompile process again and was very careful
to NOT include the following step which looked suspicious to me:
"Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device".

I can boot from the hard disk without this happening. I am now
suspicious that I am not really booting from the recompiled kernel.

Please help

thank you

Tom

2. Dual Boot Redhat and Win95?

3. 1 * vxjcLnWdi-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

4. Best development app for X programming

5. 1 * BgyKFFrNo-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

6. Sony VAIO GR, 1394 port not receiving IRQ

7. 2 * tCTtngjxY-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

8. How to see DOS double space?

9. Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

10. 1 * xuzIBiqvq-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

11. 1 * NmepTvXvo-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

12. 2 * QQLISpHcd-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

13. 2 * QpIFQClyA-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)