Very slow network

Post by Flbill Blip » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

At home I have a computer with freebsd 3.2 and solaris 7.
My connection to my isp is really slow on freebsd.
I compared traceroute to a place with about 10 hops. On
solaris it's roughly 30ms per hop, while it's 2000ms per
hop on freebsd. I've rebooted and tried a few times
to make sure it's not my isp.

I have two 3c509b, and I'm using ipfilter 3.3. I've tried
enabling only the one nic and booting the generic kernel,
but I get the same slow throughput. The speed of file
transfers over my local net seems to be the same with
solaris and freebsd, so I don't think it's freebsd having
a problem with the card. What's the problem?

Very slow network

Post by Flbill Blip » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I compared traceroute to a place with about 10 hops. On
> solaris it's roughly 30ms per hop, while it's 2000ms per
> hop on freebsd. I've rebooted and tried a few times
> I have two 3c509b, and I'm using ipfilter 3.3. I've tried

Okay, the problem is the ep0/ep1 driver for the 3c509b.

I swapped my card with a Kingston KNE110TX and I get the same speed
as I do in solaris with the 3c509b. Unfortunately, the kingston card
is not supported by solaris. I guess I have to buy new cards...

Are there updated drivers for 3c509b somewhere?

1. Slow network traffic, (connecting 2 server is slow)

I have setup a Linux server with an 3c509B adapter. (The NE2000) did'nt
initialize all the time). With kernel 2.0.29 (slakware 96).

I have the problem, that when I make a telnet, mail or internet session.
It takes about 30 to 40 seconds before I get a login prompt or an POP3
apply or a HTML page. Assoon as I'm connected to a service it works with
normal speed. But just the connecting takes forever.

I had this same problem with my NE2000, so it can't be the network
interface card.

Can someone help me with this strange problem.

2. Another example of Microsoft's method of competition. How many does it take?

3. slow network=slow X?

4. mm question

5. Slow response from Apache or just slow network?

6. Proble with gunzip

7. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

8. Via KT400 and AGP 8x Support

9. *Slow* network

10. Slow network Card

11. Slow network, RH6.0 Sendmail