Which video cards work best?

Post by Your Na » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Anyone know which video cards work best with FreeBSD? I checked with one local
PC vendor and he has a dozen different ones, from $40 to $400. I don't
want to waste my money buying a cheap one that I will want to replace as
soon as I get it working. On the other hand, I don't want to spend a lot
on a fancy one with a bunch of features that the OS can't take full
advantage of.

ccp

Which video cards work best?

Post by Roger Espel Lli » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Anyone know which video cards work best with FreeBSD? I checked with one local
>PC vendor and he has a dozen different ones, from $40 to $400. I don't
>want to waste my money buying a cheap one that I will want to replace as
>soon as I get it working. On the other hand, I don't want to spend a lot
>on a fancy one with a bunch of features that the OS can't take full
>advantage of.

FreeBSD itself will be happy with just about any VGA card that you can
get, but XFree86 has a list of supported card types and chipsets.

I have a cheap generic S3 which cost me around $40 and it works fine
with X in 800x600 mode, 256 colors.  With a second meg of videoram it
could do 1280x1024.

        Roger
--

WWW page & PGP key: http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/espel/index.html

1. What video card works best with X?

Currently I have got a W32p based card, it works with the SVGA-server
and almost with the W32 server. However, I am planning to upgrade the
video to something faster and more compatible, but I am not sure what
card that works best together with X.

How about S3 64V+ and 16bpp? Will that work well?

There's nothing new about Matrox Millenium, I guess...?

When will the W32-server support more than 8bpp?

Any opinions? I don't want to sit there with a half-compatible card
this time... :-/
---
Bjorn Nordbo

2. open source software advocacy newsgroup?

3. Best Video Card - Best Sound Card - HELP!!

4. using aliases in .bashrc

5. S3 VGA card/ best video cards for Linux and Win95 ?

6. Spell Checker for LaTex/Tex ?

7. Q: two video cards ; dual-headed video ; matrox millenium and hercules ; linux ; work in progress

8. kernel 2.4.10 masquerading (debian)

9. Will X work with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI video card?

10. Q: two video cards ; dual-headed video ; matrox millenium and hercules ; linux ; work in progress

11. Q: Best 64bit Video Card?

12. Best video card?

13. What's the best video card for Linux/ X-Windows