library

Post by Tahsin Erdoga » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I get this error when I try to exec fvwm95 from .xinitrc

ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4.10"

this happens with some other programs, too...

please help...

library

Post by Mr. Smaf » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I get this error when I try to exec fvwm95 from .xinitrc

> ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4.10"

> this happens with some other programs, too...

This is probably something to do with the /usr/X11R6/lib[1] directory not
being 'known about' by the ld[2] system.

ldconfig - the command that lets the system know - do read the man page, of
course, but:

ldconfig -r | grep libXpm

Will probably come up with nothing. If it does produce a line like:

        38:-lXpm.4.10 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.10

Then I for one would be confused ;>

However, once you have found out where libXpm & friends are (lets say they
are in /usr/X11R6/lib), then doing:

ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib

May well get things working.
However, this won't necessarily work over a reboot - check your rc.conf, and
ensure that you have the appropriate directory mentioned, something like:

        ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"

Again this depends on [1] :>

Have fun...

                Smaff

[1] Assuming that X is in /usr/X11R6.
[2] Shared Libraries.
--

   Obscure Error Message of The Year Nominee, from the Ascend Max TNT:
   Ascend-Disconnect-Cause 1 means ``The event was not a disconnect''.

1. libraries libraries libraries

Okay, since I can't get Word Perfect to install, I am currently
downloading all 51 megs of star office. Unfortunately, I am running
redhat 5.0, so I need libc 5.4.22 or higher. Can I get this somewhere
and install it, or am I screwed? Please tell me I'm not spending 6 hours
dowloading for nothing...

--
Chad Cunningham
http://socrates.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning

2. Where to get FAS driver (fast serial driver)?

3. Compiling static libraries as shared libraries

4. Configuring Quad Fast Ether (qfe) on SunOS 5.6

5. Building shared library which includes static libraries

6. When is an rpm not an rpm?

7. KDE 1.1.2: Wrong JPEG library version: library is 62, caller expects 61

8. Installing SuSE on two partitions

9. Can a static library be compiled into a shared library?

10. Migrating DB-Library into Client-Library in UNIX

11. library compatibility between c and c++ in ncurses cdk library

12. CURSES library vs. TAM library

13. Q:NNTP library, clientlib (3)- NNTP clientlib part of InterNetNews library